From daily The Morning Star in Britain:
Yorkshire marks century of activism
Monday 17 June 2013
by Peter Lazenby
Peace campaigners announced plans today to march to a US intelligence-gathering base in Yorkshire next month, marking 100 years of activism.
Politicians and human rights groups were left shocked earlier this week following revelations about the spying activities of the US National Security Agency‘s (NSA) base at Menwith Hill in North Yorkshire.
Leaked documents revealed NSA involvement, along with GCHQ, in intercepting politicians’ emails and other “intelligence-gathering” activities.
Peace activists including the Yorkshire-based Campaign for Accountability of American Bases (Caab) have long campaigned for the closure of the base.
This year’s protest will have special significance.
They supported conscientious objectors who refused to take part in the imperialist war.
Many objectors were imprisoned at Richmond Castle in North Yorkshire.
On June 29 a party of 18 peace campaigners will set off to walk 35 miles from Richmond Castle to Menwith Hill to join the demonstration on July 4.
Caab co-ordinator Lindis Percy said: “This year the demonstration is particularly pertinent and important given the recent release of documents by the whistle-blower Edward Snowden revealing what the NSA has been up to.
“Menwith Hill is also crucial to the US Missile Defence System.”
- Leaked documents: NSA intercepted Russian president’s communications (rawstory.com)
- NSA Targeted Dmitry Medvedev at London G20 Summit (economicpolicyjournal.com)
- Snowden reveals British spies set up fake Internet cafes to monitor G20 (rawstory.com)
- Eavesdropping scandal escalates: U.S. spied on Russian president Medvedev, other top politicians (phonearena.com)
- GCHQ intercepted foreign politicians’ communications at G20 summits (guardian.co.uk)
- Nsa Spying Targeted Russian President Medvedev During 2009 G20 London Summit (katenews2day.com)
- NSA targeted Rusia and Allies at G- 20 Meetings – more particularly embarrassing revelations for the US and UK – by extension Australia and Canada ! Ironically UK set to host G- 8 Monday and Tuesday ! (fredw-catharsisours.blogspot.com)