This 2009 video is called Exclusive Tour Of Guantanamo Bay’s Camp X-Ray – Full Documentary.
In 24 hours, President Obama could end more than a decade of injustice by finally closing Guantanamo — the world’s most notorious prison camp. While he preps for a major speech to respond to hunger-striking detainees, let’s send him a massive message: no more excuses — the world demands he close this American gulag down. Sign now:
In 24 hours, President Obama could finally move to close Guantanamo — the most notorious prison camp on earth.
With inmates on a 100-day hunger strike and the UN denouncing their force feeding as torture, Obama has been pushed to respond with a major speech about the prison. If enough of us demand a plan — he could free the prisoners already cleared for release, and appoint a White House official with one mission: close Guantanamo down!
We’re at a tipping point. Sign up to demand Obama close this shameful gulag down, and share the shocking facts below so others join this urgent call:
The facts speak for themselves:
- Detainees in Guantanamo now: 166
- Detainees facing active charges: 6
- Detainees cleared for immediate release, but stuck in the camp: 86
- Guantanamo inmates on hunger strike: 103
- Hunger strikers strapped down and force fed: 30
- Prisoners who have died in custody: 9
- Children the US has held at Guantanamo: 21
- Detainees tried in civilian court: 1
- “Unreleasable” detainees who can’t be tried for lack of evidence or torture: 50
- Prisoners released by the Bush administration: 500+
- Prisoners released by the Obama administration: 72
- Current annual cost to US taxpayers: $150 million
- Days since Obama first pledged to close Gitmo: 1579
- Days since first prisoners arrived at Guantanamo: 11 years, 4 months, 11 days
For years, Obama has blamed the US Congress for the failure to close Guantanamo. But since Congress granted the Defense Department waiver authority that allows prisoners who have been cleared to be transferred out, Obama himself can free these 86 men. And while he will need Congressional cooperation to close the prison completely, if he truly wants to shut it down, he can task someone at the White House right now to show it is a priority and make it happen.
Sign now to demand Obama announce a plan to close Guantanamo, and share this with everyone — let’s build an urgent global call to end this shame.
When he first campaigned to become US president, Obama promised to close Guantanamo down. This illegal and repulsive prison has led to far too much suffering and fuelled great divisions and hate in our world. Enough is enough. Let’s get Obama to act and close this painful scar on humanity.
With hope and determination,
Dalia, Joseph, Allison, Bissan, Nick, Alice, Ricken and the whole Avaaz team
PS – Many Avaaz campaigns are started by members of our community! Start yours now and win on any issue – local, national or global: http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/start_a_petition/?bgMYedb&v=25040
Obama to address Guantánamo and drones in major defence speech (The Guardian)
Guantanamo by the numbers (ACLU)
Gitmo is killing me (The New York Times)
How Gitmo imprisoned Obama (Newsweek)
Stop force-feeding inmates and close Gitmo (CNN. Op-Ed)
Guantanamo hunger strike enters 100th day (Aljazeera English)
Three Guantanamo Bay prisoners who’ve been on hunger strike for 100 days (VICE)
Yemen wants it’s detainees out of Guantanamo (UPI)
Why We Have Cautious Optimism Regarding President Obama’s Plans for Guantánamo: here.
A former Guantanamo Bay inmate called on the US to close the notorious concentration camp at the weekend as the number of hunger strikers rose to 104 of 166 prisoners: here.
A Medical Ethics-free Zone? Guantánamo Doctors Urged to Stop Force-Feeding Hunger-Striking Prisoners: here.
Veterans Arrested At White House Guantanamo Protest. Vietnam Veteran Diane Wilson Goes Over White House Fence: here.
The US government defended the force-feeding of hunger strikers at the Guantanamo Bay concentration camp on Wednesday: here.
- Guantanamo ends now. (theglobaloyster.wordpress.com)
- Guantanamo hunger strike enters 100th day (aljazeera.com)
- Barack Obama under pressure as Guantanamo hunger strike passes 100th day (abc.net.au)
- Gitmo hunger strike passes 100-day mark (guantanamobayinfo.wordpress.com)
- ‘Political football’: Gitmo detainees ‘abandoned’ by US government (guantanamobayinfo.wordpress.com)
- RT: ‘Guantanamo guards shot my client 5 times for no reason’ (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- American Gulag: Guantanamo hunger strike enters 100th day (sott.net)
- Anonymous: Solidarity with Guantanamo Hunger Strike (bsnorrell.blogspot.com)
- US steps up efforts to break Guantánamo hunger strike (givemeliberty01.com)