This is a video from Spain about the Natura 2000 Day.
Celebrate the Natura 2000 Day with a simple gesture
Thu, May 16, 2013
Juan Ramon Lucas
On 21 May, the Natura 2000 network celebrates its first European Day, and SEO (BirdLife in Spain) has started a campaign to involve citizens in this project, which aims to ensure the survival of the most valuable and threatened species and habitats by establishing nature protected areas throughout Europe. The action, based on the so-called “butterfly effect”, claims that “a simple gesture as the flap of a butterfly can change the whole world”, and calls on participation by uploading pictures of people raising their hands in the shape of a butterfly to a specific website.
In exchange of these gestures, regional Spanish public administrations will set up specific initiatives to preserve their local Natura 2000 areas. The main goal of this online action is to spread the knowledge and the relevance of the network among the society. A short promotional video of the campaign, with statements from EU Commissioner Janez Potočnik, Spanish awarded chef Ferran Adrià, journalist Juan Ramon Lucas and violinist Ara Malikian, is also available on … Vimeo.
For more information please contact Beatriz Sánchez, Project Coordinator at SEO/BirdLife (BirdLife in Spain).
- Natura 2000 networks: Improving current methods in biodiversity conservation (eurekalert.org)
- BBC site highlights illegal hunting in Malta (timesofmalta.com)
- Natura 2000 networks: Improving current methods in biodiversity conservation (phys.org)
- Birds and crabs on Pacific paradise island (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- World Migratory Bird Day this weekend (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Sad Syrian bald ibis news (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bird watchers give evidence against hunter (timesofmalta.com)
- Gillnets fatal for seabirds (worldfishing.net)
- Maltese criminals kill rare birds (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)