Translated from Dutch news agency ANP:
Zebra born in Artis
Amsterdam‘s Artis Zoo has a new Grevy’s zebra. The young zebra was born on Saturday on the savannah in the metropolitan zoo.
The newborn foal is a filly. Zebras have a gestation period of about 13 months. The young during the first days will only recognize her mother by her scent and sound. Later she will also recognize her mother’s stripe pattern.
It is the third Grevy’s zebra foal born this year in Artis. This zebra species from Kenya and Ethiopia is threatened with extinction; therefore there is a European breeding program to prevent extinction.
- The Zebra (espikipbojonegoro3a.wordpress.com)
- Photo minipulation (jennikeck.wordpress.com)
- Feelings of the people and wildlife live in harmony in Laikipia (mejdc49.wordpress.com)
- Characterization of Prdm9 in Equids and Sterility in Mules (plosone.org)
- Saluting ‘local heroes of conservation’ (bbc.co.uk)
Pingback: Rare eagle rays born in Dutch zoo | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Canadian fossil horse DNA discovery | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Baby zebra born | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Kenyan Grevy’s zebras threatened by lions? | Dear Kitty. Some blog