By Hayes Brown in the USA:
Air Force Officer In Charge Of Sexual Assault Prevention Arrested For Sexual Assault
May 6, 2013 at 4:05 pm
The officer in charge of the U.S. Air Force’s response to sexual assault was himself arrested for sexual battery this weekend, drawing attention yet again to the extent of rape culture in the armed services.
Lt. Col. Jeff Krusinski is accused of assaulting a woman in an Arlington, VA, parking lot early Sunday morning. According to the police report of the incident, Krusinski approached the woman in question after a night of drinking:
On May 5 at 12:35 am, a drunken male subject approached a female victim in a parking lot and grabbed her breasts and buttocks. The victim fought the suspect off as he attempted to touch her again and alerted police. Jeffrey Krusinski, 41, of Arlington, VA, was arrested and charged with sexual battery. He was held on a $5,000 unsecured bond.
Krusinski is the head of the Air Force’s branch of the Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Program, a Department of Defense initiative to combat sexual assault in the ranks. A spokesperson for the Air Force confirmed to local blog ARLnow.com the man described in the police report is in fact Lt. Col. Krusinski, but gave no further comment. ARLNow also confirmed that the woman and Krusinski did not know each other prior to the encounter.
The Air Force’s response to sexual violence was last scrutinized following a controversial case involving an Air Force general overturning a jury’s sexual assault conviction. That case launched a review of the military’s approach to cases involving sexual assault, resulting in Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel sending Congress a series of recommendations for them to pass into law. As it stands, however, an estimated 19,000 instances of sexual assault occurred in 2011 alone.
(HT: Graham Jenkins)
- US Air Force sexual assault prevention chief accused of sexual assault (telegraph.co.uk)
- Airman who led sex assault unit charged in groping (utsandiego.com)
- Head of US air force sexual assault prevention unit charged with groping – The Guardian (guardian.co.uk)
- Sexual assault: Air Force Lt. Col. in charge of Sexual Assault Prevention arrested (tv.msnbc.com)
- Air Force abuse prevention honcho charged with sex assault (usnews.nbcnews.com)
- Air Force sexual assault prevention chief faces sex assault charges (cbsnews.com)
- The Air Force ‘Chief Of Sexual Assault Prevention’ Just Got Busted – For Sexual Battery (businessinsider.com)
- Lt. Col. Jeff Krusinski, Air Force’s sexual assault prevention chief arrested for sexual assault (riehlworldview.com)
- Jeff Krusinski, Air Force officer, charged with sexual battery (wjla.com)