This video from Scotland says about itself:
Will she return? Countdown on for ancient osprey Lady to land in Scotland after brush with death
Although she nearly died from a mystery illness last year, staff at a Perthshire nature reserve are hopeful that ancient osprey Lady will return this month. Broadcast: Wednesday, March 23, 2011.
From Wildlife Extra:
Extraordinary ‘Lady’ osprey lays 2 more eggs, 65th and 66th of her lifetime
Lady lays yet more eggs
The osprey, affectionately known by many as ‘Lady’, has been returning to Loch of the Lowes, near Dunkeld in Perthshire, for an incredible 23 years. The female osprey and her mate are now incubating the eggs, which will take five to six weeks. Last year, one of three eggs hatched and the chick was satellite tagged by the Scottish Wildlife Trust.
The whole laying process was seen live on the nest camera, which is available to view online.
Scottish Wildlife Trust Perthshire Ranger Emma Rawling said: “The first egg was laid on 18 April amid very high winds and with an intruder osprey in the vicinity. The second arrived just after 1 am on 21 April but it wasn’t until first light we got a good view of it as she rolled it delicately with her beak in the nest.
Third egg possible?
“We are over the moon as this effectively doubles our chances of having chicks hatch this year at this famous nest. We are also hoping our bird might equal her historic average of three eggs, as she is still mating with the male. If this happens, the last egg would be laid sometime over the next day or two. Our 24 hour nest protection now becomes even more important. We will be monitoring the nest for as long as the ospreys are here and we hope we’ll see the eggs hatch in a few weeks’ time.
“We’re still learning so much about osprey behaviour. Having the camera in the nest and so many enthusiastic visitors and viewers around Loch of the Lowes at the moment makes this time of year incredibly exciting.”
- Oldest osprey ‘Lady’ returns to Scotland (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- First Scottish osprey egg this year (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Ospreys, how to help them (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- First osprey egg of year spotted (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- World Famous Osprey Returns to Loch of the Lowes (fishingandwildlifenews.com)
- ‘Oldest’ osprey returns to reserve (bbc.co.uk)
- Goose claims nest at Missoula baseball stadium, leaving osprey homeless (missoulian.com)
- Ospreys back in Britain (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- The Nest Is Becoming More Crowded….. (ospreycamerablog.wordpress.com)
- First osprey’s egg of season laid (bbc.co.uk)