This video fropm New Zealand says about itself:
Pokarekare Ana – Full version with lyrics, translation and story
I couldn’t find the full version to this anywhere on youtube so I decided to post it myself, the lyrics are there to sing along to, along with a translation; with a gorgeous picture of a Kapiti sunset in the background. Also a link to the story behind one of the world’s most beautiful love songs, enjoy 🙂
in this version they sing Tua whati aku pene, instead of whati whati aku pene, tua basically meaning 2, don’t worry it has the same meaning.
Pökarekare ana (They are agitated)
ngä wai o Rotorua(The waters of Rotorua/Waiapu)
Whiti atu koe hine (But when you cross over girl)
marino ana e(They will be calm)
E hine e (Oh girl)
hoki mai ra(Return to me)
Ka mate ahau (I could die)
I te aroha e(of love for you)
Tuhituhi taku reta (I have written my letter)
tuku atu taku rïngi(I have sent my ring)
Kia kite tö iwi (So that your people can see)
raru raru ana e(That I am troubled)
E kore te aroha (My love will never)
e maroke i te rä(Be dried by the sun)
Mäkükü tonu (It will be forever moistened)
I aku roimata e(By my tears)
Tua whati taku pene (My pen is shattered)
ka pau aku pepa(I have no more paper)
Ko taku aroha (But my love)
mau tonu ana e(Is still steadfast)
Link to the story: here.
From daily The Morning Star in Britain:
New Zealand MPs vote to legalise same-sex marriage
Thursday 18 April 2013
The New Zealand parliament echoed with a traditional Maori love song on Wednesday after MPs made it the first country in the Asia-Pacific region to legalise same-sex marriage.
Supporters of the Bill, including hundreds of gay-rights advocates, stood and cheered after the 77-44 vote was announced.
Before the vote, MP Maurice Williamson mocked a claim that the Bill would set off a “gay onslaught.”
“The sun will still rise tomorrow,” he assured the Bill’s opponents.
- My love for you endures, and remains forever more (balloon-juice.com)
- While waiting for the Supreme Court’s decision (setyourheartfreedotcom.wordpress.com)
- Cheers and a love song as New Zealand legalises same-sex marriage (euronews.com)
- Watch the New Zealand Parliament Break Into Song as Gay Marriage is Legalized: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- NZ Parliament Busts Out in Song on Gay Marriage (newser.com)
- NZ parliament erupts in song after passing marriage equality bill (boingboing.net)
- Gay marriage, and a reason to sing… (thisfragiletent.com)
- The Sound Of Equality (dish.andrewsullivan.com)
- New Zealand Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage And Sings About It! Watch The AHmazing Moment HERE!!! (perezhilton.com)