This video is called Yellow-browed Warbler – Phylloscopus inornatus.
A small, green warbler similar in size to a goldcrest. The yellow ‘eyebrow’ is distinctive, as is the coal tit-like call. Yellow-browed warblers breed in Siberia and occur in the UK every year as they migrate south-westwards.
From the BTO Bird Ringing ‘Demog Blog’ in Britain:
10 April 2013
Dutch-ringed Yellow-browed Warbler
Way back in April 2008 we received details of a ‘Willow Warbler‘ found dead outside Richard Lander School in Truro, Cornwall. This is perhaps a slightly early date for a returning migrant, but the interesting bit was that it was wearing a ring from the Dutch Ringing Scheme.
Following issues tracing the ring in The Netherlands, we have only just received the ringing details and these were rather surprising. Ring Y11467 was actually just the second foreign-ringed Yellow-browed Warbler to be found in the UK! It had been originally ringed on 3rd October 2007 on Schiermonnikoog (in red on the map here), an island off the north coast of the country, and had possibly spent the winter at one of Cornwall’s many sewage works.
These works regularly attract wintering Yellow-broweds, especially so in recent years, with no fewer than five seen on one day at Carnon Downs Sewage Works in February 2012. Below is one of two birds present at Gwennap Sewage Works, Cornwall, in January 2013.
The only previous record of a foreign-ringed Yellow-browed was a Norwegian bird ringed in September 1990 and recaught on Fair Isle five days later (blue on the map). The only British-ringed bird to be found abroad was one ringed at Portland Bird Observatory in October 1988 and recaught the next day on Guernsey (green on the map).
- The warbler bird is returning to our shores – but which type will you hear and, perhaps, see? (scotsman.com)
- Warblers arrive (bigmanhattanyear.wordpress.com)
- Rare stone curlews killed by cold spring (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- German Kentish plover in England (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Birds migrate slowly, cold spring (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Black-tailed Godwits (parrotletsuk.typepad.com)
- 9th April 2013 (cotswoldwaterpark.wordpress.com)
- 10th April 2013 (cotswoldwaterpark.wordpress.com)
- Marcia Davis: Join Sharp’s Ridge April bird walks (knoxnews.com)