This video is called African Penguins go for a swim – Mountain of the Sea – BBC.
From the California Academy of Sciences in the USA:
Our New Penguin Chick Needs a Name!
Today, biologists introduced a male penguin chick to our African penguin exhibit. Hatched on January 28, 2013, the chick is just over two months old and, until today, has been living with his parents in a private nest off of public view to give the family a chance to bond. Visit our newest animal resident!
We need your help naming our new penguin: submit your best penguin name ideas to our Name the Penguin Chick Contest by April 30, 2013 for a chance to win a fantastic Penguin Prize Pack, including an exclusive behind-the-scenes experience and Penguins+Pajamas sleepover tickets.
Academy staff will select three finalist names for public voting based on originality and connection to the Academy’s mission: to explore, explain, and sustain life. As part of our mission, the Academy co-sponsors the African Penguin Species Survival Plan, aimed at conserving this species in the wild.
The Penguin Prize Pack includes:
- An exclusive opportunity for the winner plus one guest to go behind the scenes in the aquarium
- Participation in the Academy’s Penguin Naming Ceremony on Thursday, May 16, 2013 to announce the winning name
- 4 tickets to a Penguins+Pajamas sleepover in 2013
- A penguin plush toy
We look forward to your input! Submit your name ideas here.
On June 23, 2000 the damaged bulk ore carrier MV Treasure sank off the coast of South Africa between Dassen and Robben islands, which support the largest and third largest colonies of African Penguins (Spheniscus demersus), worldwide. The worldwide population of African penguins is numbered at less than 180,000 and dwindling. The ship spilled over 1,300 tons of bunker oil, which immediately oiled thousands of penguins on and around the islands: here.
- African Penguins Return to Maritime Aquarium At Norwalk through April 22 (janetserra.com)
- Oldest fossils yet of African penguins found (science.nbcnews.com)
- African Penguin Critically Endangered (sotinpc.wordpress.com)
- Uncovering Africa’s oldest known penguins (eurekalert.org)
- Casanova the baby penguin makes its debut at Adventure Aquarium in Camden (nj.com)
- Ancient African Penguin Fossils Reveal High Species Diversity Millions of Years Ago (scienceworldreport.com)
- Mystic Aquarium Welcomes Two African Penguin Chicks (bridgeportbanner.typepad.com)
- First African Penguin Chick Hatches at Minn. Zoo (kstp.com)
- Happy Valentine’s Day From A Bunch Of Penguins (eyeoncelebs.com)
- From prehistoric hominids to modern humans, video (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)