This video is called Detained, Tortured and Without Trial, a Saudi Political Prisoner Returns Home.
From daily The Morning Star in Britain today:
Women allowed to ride bikes
SAUDI ARABIA: Women will now be allowed to ride motorbikes and bicycles, but only in restricted recreational areas.
The powerful religious police say that women can ride bikes in parks and recreational areas but they have to be accompanied by a male relative and dress in the full Islamic head-to-toe abaya.
The official says women may not use the bikes for transport but “only for entertainment” and that they should shun places where young men gather, “to avoid harassment.”
This is a ridiculously small concession to the Saudi women’s movemernt, which demands that women should have the right not just to ride bikes, but drive cars as well. And not just for “recreation”, but for all types of transport for which men use these as well.
However, even this ridiculously small concession is a sign that the tyrannical repression in the Saudi absolute monarchy is not really working well for the rulers any more. This should give pro-democracy movements in Saudi Arabia more confidence for mass pressure for bigger improvements.
Saudi Sheikh Saleh bin Saad al-Luhaydan says that women should not be permitted to drive cars because driving hurts a woman’s pelvis and ovaries, thus causing children with birth defects: here.
- Saudi religious police lift ban on women on bikes (dailystar.com.lb)
- Saudi ladies can bike ‘for recreation’ (timesofisrael.com)
- On your bike! Saudi women allowed to ride bicycles, buggies in public (issahwuni.wordpress.com)
- Saudi Women Can Now Ride A Bike In Public – With Certain Restrictions (thinkprogress.org)
- Heard the one about the Saudi cleric who said driving damages ovaries? | Naomi McAuliffe (theguardian.com)
- Saudi Arabia & labor conditions: Already about 200 Ethiopians being treated for mental problems (ethiopiaobservatory.com)
- Saudi cleric warns driving could damage women’s ovaries (wtkr.com)
- If Women Drive They’ll Damage Their Ovaries, Says Stupid Saudi Cleric (jalopnik.com)
- What a [Saudi Arabia] Girl and Her Bike Can Say About Women’s Rights (womennewsnetwork.net)