Netanyahu apologizes for lethal flotilla raid


This video, from 2010, is called Israeli Peace Group Calls for New Flotilla Probe.

And now, from daily The Morning Star in Britain:

Netanyahu ‘remorseful’ for peace flotilla raid

Friday 22 March 2013

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu apologised today for a raid on a Gaza peace flotilla which resulted in the deaths of Turkish activists.

Benjamin Netanyahu announced the restoration of normal diplomatic relations with Turkey and expressed regret during a phone call with his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Nine pro-Palestinian activists were killed aboard the Turkish-flagged ship Mavi Marmara on May 31 2010, during an armed helicopter raid by Israeli naval commandos.

The incident severely harmed diplomatic ties between the once-close allies. Turkey withdrew its ambassador from Israel and diplomatic contacts and military co-operation were greatly scaled back.

Mr Netanyahu claimed that the “tragic results” were not intentional and Israel “expressed remorse” for the loss of life.

He cited “operational mistakes” in the disastrous raid of the flotilla while it was en route to Gaza in an attempt to bring international attention to Israel’s illegal blockade of the Palestinian territory.

See also here.

Obama brokers call between Netanyahu and Erdogan as Israel says sorry for role in 2010 naval raid that left nine Turks dead: here.

Families of the victims of an Israeli raid on the Mavi Marmara aid flotilla spoke out against compensation talks on Saturday, saying that Israel must first fully lift its blockade of the Gaza Strip: here.

Israel and Turkey restore ties with energy as a motivator: here.

Uri Avnery: Idiocracy. The reasonable thing would have been to apologize immediately to the victims’ families, pay compensation and let the whole affair simmer down. But no, not we Israelis. Because We Were In The Right. We always are. It’s in our nature. We can’t help it. Full text: here.

13 thoughts on “Netanyahu apologizes for lethal flotilla raid

  1. Marmara families continue legal battle

    TURKEY: The families of the nine Turkish activists killed during the Israeli raid on the Mavi Marmara in 2010 will press the government to continue their legal battle against the soldiers responsible, newspaper Today’s Zaman reported today.

    They said they weren’t willing to waive their lawsuits as mooted by a bilateral agreement to thaw relations after the raid on the ship taking aid to Palestine.

    http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/

    Like

  2. TURKEY: A court yesterday ordered the arrest of four former Israeli military commanders being tried in absentia over the killing of nine people aboard the Mavi Marmara aid ship that tried to break a Gaza blockade in 2010.

    An Istanbul court ruled that authorities must seek an international warrant for Israel’s former military chief Lieutenant General Gabi Ashkenazi and three other former commanders.

    http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-e6cf-World-in-Brief-27052014#.U4SjsChAe7o

    Like

  3. Pingback: Pro-peace demonstration in Israel this Saturday | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  4. Pingback: Will Turkey invade Syria, continued | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  5. Avnery: Let the Gaza Flotilla through, open the Port of Gaza under international supervision

    Press Release June 28, 2015

    Former Knesset Member Uri Avnery, of Gush Shalom (The Israeli Peace Bloc), calls upon Prime Minister Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ya’alon to take a sober thought at the last moment and allow what had been called “The Swedish Flotilla” to reach the Port of Gaza. “Four small boats, loaded with medical equipment and solar panels to generate electricity, do not constitute the slightest threat to Israel’s security. The arrival of the boats with their humanitarian cargo at Gaza would be a modest good will gesture by the State of Israel. Conversely, sending armed commandos to take over the boats at sea would be one more act of naked force which would further entrench Israel’s image as an aggressive and violent Goliath – an image which is the main reason for the increasing acts of boycott against Israel all over the world “.

    Avnery recalled that on at least four past occasions, the State of Israel allowed the arrival of humanitarian aid ships to Gaza. That was before the decision to adopt the policy of naked force, a policy which caused bloodshed in the disastrous Marmara Affair. For example, In November 2008, the government of Israel allowed two boats, which carried 44 activists from 17 countries, to dock at the port of Gaza. At that time, Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs published a statement reading “We will allow these publicity-seekers to get into Gaza, and thus deny success to their public relations provocation”. The Israeli Navy was then instructed to track the boats but not interfere with their sailing and docking at Gaza – and that was all. “The text of the 2008 communique can still be found in the Foreign Ministry computers, and it can still be re-published today, word by word” suggested Avnery.

    “Beyond the specific issue of this flotilla, it’s high time to open the Port of Gaza and free the economy of the Gaza Strip from the strangulation which drives its residents to unemployment and terrible poverty, the breeding ground for extremism and hatred. It is well known that international parties are willing to mediate an agreement on international supervision of the Port of Gaza, and the Hamas leadership is willing to reach such an agreement” says Avnery.

    Contact: Adam Keller +972-(0)54-2340749

    Like

  6. Pingback: Turkish government buys ISIS oil, Israeli government says | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  7. Tuesday 28th June 2016

    posted by Morning Star in World

    TURKEY and Israel announced the normalisation of relations yesterday, six years after the latter’s lethal attack on the Mavi Marmara aid ship.

    Ambassadors are expected to return to their posts in the next few weeks as the countries — both key US allies in the Middle East — patch up their differences.

    Relations collapsed following Israel’s May 31 2010 raid on the Mavi Marmara, an aid ship trying to breach the blockade of Gaza.

    Israeli commandos boarded the ship in international waters and killed nine Turkish civilians. A 10th, Ugur Suleyman Soylemez, died from his injuries in 2014 following four years in a coma.

    In yesterday’s deal — announced simultaneously in Rome by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and in Istanbul by Turkish PM Binali Yildirim — Tel Aviv agreed to pay $20 million (£15m) in compensation to the families of the dead.

    It has also agreed to allow Turkey to deliver aid to Gaza and carry out development projects there, including improvements to water and electricity supplies.

    Mr Yildirim declared this meant the Gaza blockade had been lifted “to a great extent,” though Mr Netanyahu said it would remain in place. A Turkish ship carrying 10,000 tons of aid will depart for Gaza on Friday.

    Turkey for its part will block legal claims against Israel over the raid and vowed to clamp down on “military action or fundraising in Turkey,” presumably by Palestinian resistance organisations.

    The agreement does not prevent Israel holding on to the confiscated property — including media recordings which might incriminate its soldiers — of passengers on the flotilla.

    http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-bf1d-Israel-Turkey-deal-ends-6-year-feud-over-aid-for-Gaza#.V3KcU6KZ0dU

    Like

  8. Pingback: ISIS terror in Turkey, why? | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  9. Saturday 3rd December 2016

    posted by James Tweedie in World

    TURKISH prosecutors asked a criminal court yesterday to drop charges against Israeli military and spy chiefs over the deadly 2010 attack on a cruise ship carrying aid to the beseiged Gaza Strip.

    The charges were dropped as Turkey and Israel restored diplomatic relations for the first time since the criminal attack in which Israeli commandoes murdered 10 Turkish activists.

    Under a conciliation deal reached this year, Israel agreed to pay £16 million in compensation to the victims or their relatives.

    Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office sought nine aggravated life sentences for then Israeli Chief of Staff Rau Aluf Gabriel Ashkenazi, naval forces commander Elizer Alfred Marom, intelligence head Amos Yadlin and air force commander Avishay Levi for instigating homicide.

    They faced up to 18,000 years in jail for those charges and others including robbery, plunder and torture.

    New Israeli ambassador Eitan Naeh arrived in Ankara on Thursday, while his Turkish counterpart Kemal Okem is expected to take up his post in Tel Aviv on December 2.

    Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas told his Fatah party’s congress in Ramallah on Wednesday that Israel had shown it was not serious about peace.

    He said the recognition of Israel as a Jewish state must be reciprocated by recognition of Palestine.

    He reiterated plans to use east Jerusalem, illegally occupied by Israel, as the country’s capital, saying: “We want it to be open for worship for the followers of the three monotheistic religions.”

    http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-6851-Prosecutors-drop-Mavi-Marmara-massacre-charges#.WELVeH2bIdU

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.