This video is called Butterflies: Spotting and identifying Britain’s butterflies.
From Wildlife Extra:
UK butterfly sightings 2013
2013 butterfly sightings
March 2013. With British Summer time officially happening at the end of March, you might have expected that we would be seeing a few butterflies taking ot the wing; A few is the opeartive word here, as the snow and miserable weather continues to plague the UK. Just 10 species have been spotted this year, compared with 16 by this time last year.
So far, after a surprising number of butterflies spotetd on 1st January, there have just been a trickle since. Small white (Berkshire) and Small copper (Norfolk) were both seen on 5th March, an Orange Tip (Oxfordshire) on 27 February, and a Comma in Kent on 8th January.
Remarkably, 6 different species of butterfly were recorded in the UK on January 1st, some in several locations according to Butterfly Conservation. There are always a few early sightings, but we think it is very unusual to have 5 different species on January 1st.
The species and locations are:
A Brimstone was spotted in Bedfordshire
Red admirals were spotted in Hampshire Gloucester & Surrey
Painted Lady were seen in Dorset, Isle of Wight and Sussex
Small Tortoiseshell in Dorset and Sussex
Peacock in Staffordshire and Sussex
Speckled Wood in Cornwall
If you think you might have seen a first butterfly of the 2013, let Butterfly Conservation know.
March 2013. Washout 2012 was the worst year for UK butterflies on record with 52 out of the 56 species monitored suffering declines, a scientific study has revealed. Some of our rarest species such as the fritillaries bore the brunt of the second wettest year on record and now face the real threat of extinction in some parts of the UK: here.
- British moths, new research (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Where Have All the Monarch Butterflies Gone? (thefunlifeofsophia.wordpress.com)
- Monarch Butterflies’ Population Steadily Declining, But Why? (scienceworldreport.com)
- First butterflies, now moths decline (telegraph.co.uk)
- Crowd Sourcing Butterfly Conservation (datamining.typepad.com)
- Of Burrowers and Butterflies (meanderingsabound.com)
- San Diego Zoo Safari Park set to unveil ‘Butterfly Jungle’ tomorrow (swrnn.com)
- Spring Comes Slowly to the East Coast (leplog.wordpress.com)
- More Thoughts about Butterflies (therousedbear.wordpress.com)