Wildlife Extra writes about the subject of this video:
Camera trap videos fantastic range of wildlife in the Peruvian Amazon
Amazon biodiversity caught on film – Our thanks to Paul Rosolie for the video and the information.
March 2013. A Peru-based conservationist has captured some great videos that showcase the biodiversity of the Amazon by setting up a camera trap trained on a single “colpa” salt lick in the western Amazon.
Monkeys, anteaters, jaguars, pumas, ocelots and a variety of birds
Paul Rosolie documented an extraordinary variety of species, some of which are threatened, in an area now targeted by loggers, miners, and other developers. During a four-week period, Paul’s camera collected footage of dozens of species, including a troop of howler monkeys, a giant anteater, and a host of big cats – including jaguars, pumas, and ocelots – constantly on the hunt for prey.
In the video, Paul, who is a director at a research station for Tamandua Expeditions, documented the wildlife in a region of the lower Las Piedras River in Peru.
“Seeing incredible abundance and diversity at a single location in the forest, in so short a time, is something we have never seen before,” said Paul.
At one point in the video, Paul himself is stalked by a jaguar whilst adjusting the camera at night! Not for the fainthearted this job.
Mapping rainforest chemistry from the air reveals 36 types of forest. Chemical signatures of the Peruvian tree canopy reveal previously unrecognized biodiversity: here.
LEADING Peruvian opponent of illegal logging Edwin Chota and three other native Ashaninka community leaders have been shot dead, villagers said on Monday night: here.
- Good South American tapir news (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- #Shopping# : Manu: The Biodiversity of Southeastern Peru (harshg3gq5.wordpress.com)
- ‘This is insane!’ Couple feared abducted in Peru are found – kayaking up the Amazon (independent.co.uk)
- World’s largest camera trap study gets its millionth photo (thehindu.com)
- Gas company targets protected Manú park in Peruvian Amazon (guardian.co.uk)
- Gold mining ravages Peru (phys.org)
- Video: Anti-Bullfighting Protesters in Lima, Peru (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
- What if we lost the Amazon rainforest? – Hint: It would be bad (macombdaily.com)
- Video of Amazon Gold Mining Devastation Goes Viral in Peru (wakingtimes.com)