Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands:
Also pressure on Cardinal Danneels
Update: Thursday, February 21, 2013, 23:45
The Belgian Working Group on Human Rights in the Church says that [Belgian] Cardinal Danneels should not participate in the conclave to elect a new pope next month. He is controversial because he is said to have known of abuse by priests without having acted against it.
“Danneels has lost all moral authority, we think”, says the priest Rik Devillé, whose group represents 800 victims. With a petition the group wants to persuade Danneels not to go to Rome.
In the U.S., a similar protest is going on against Cardinal Mahony, who also is said to have known about the abuse.
- Pedophilia scandals weigh on papal conclave (rappler.com)
- Outcry Grows Over Mahony’s Planned Participation In Papal Conclave (losangeles.cbslocal.com)
- Conclave brings out cardinals’ dirty laundry (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- US Catholics launch petition to block disgraced LA Cardinal Mahony from Vatican conclave (irishcentral.com)
- Cardinal Mahony: A Tainted Vote (ukprogressive.co.uk)
- Outcry as US cardinal who ‘covered up sex abuse’ will attend conclave to elect new Pope (telegraph.co.uk)
- US Catholics urge cardinal to skip papal vote (aljazeera.com)
- Bye-Bye Bennie: Could California Cover-Up Bring Real Change to Church (ukprogressive.co.uk)