From the San Diego Union-Tribune in the USA:
Wildlife art festival in Point Loma this weekend
By NTC Promenade Corky McMillin Events Center 12:01 a.m.Feb. 14, 2013
Duck-carvers, wildlife painters and animal enthusiasts will gather this weekend for the 40th annual California Open. The two-day festival showcases the work of as many as 150 artists and fish and duck decoy carvers from the U.S. and abroad. There will be a carving competition (wildfowl, fish and birds), an exhibit of antique decoys, a palm frond-carving contest, live auctions, art exhibits and vendor booths. This year’s featured artist is Dehesa resident Gloria Chadwick, a retired psychiatric nurse who enjoys painting and sketching wildlife at the San Diego Zoo. From 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, artists ages 16 and under are invited to take part in the Al Deddens Memorial Youth Painting Event. Children can try their hand at painting a wooden silhouette. All materials will be provided for the take-home art project.
The festival frons from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 16 and 17, at NTC Promenade, Corky McMillin Events Center, Liberty Station, 2875 Dewey Road, Point Loma. Adult weekend pass, $5. Children 11 and under, free. Visit pswa.net.
– Pam Kragen
- Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2013 (zainabattari14.wordpress.com)
- St. John Arts Festival: 9 days of fun (barnako.typepad.com)
- Wordsmiths in Nigeria: Relics of a lost age? by Chika Nwakama (sueddie.wordpress.com)
- West Midlands News: Birmingham Artfest scrapped by city council to save money (birminghampost.net)
- Pan African Film Festival Daily Screening Schedule: Day 5 (947thewave.cbslocal.com)