This video is called Guatemala – An American Genocide – September 1999.
From daily The Morning Star in Britain:
Court charges ex-dictator Montt with war crimes
Tuesday 29 January 2013
by Our Foreign Desk
Human rights activists said the prosecution would be an important symbolic victory for the victims of the horrific conflict.
“It’s the beginning of a new phase of the struggle,” said International Centre for Transitional Justice vice-president Paul Seils.
It was “a good step forward” but he expected the prosecution to be resisted by those who want to ensure government-allied forces go unpunished.
“The fact that a judge has ordered the trial of a former head of state is a remarkable development in a country where impunity has long been the norm,” said Human Rights Watch Americas director Jose Miguel Vivanco.
Guatemala‘s leaders have been criticised for years for their unwillingness to prosecute government forces and paramilitaries accused of marching into Mayan villages, raping, torturing, slaughtering women, children and unarmed men in a scorched-earth campaign aimed at eliminating support for a left-wing guerilla movement.
Despite several international inquiries finding him responsible for war crimes, Rios Montt served as a congressman for 15 years until he lost an election last year.
He was immune from prosecution while in congress.
Trial for Genocide in Guatemala to Continue, Says High Court: here.
- Former Dictator Gen. Efrain Rios Montt to Stand Trial for Genocide in Guatemala (hispanicallyspeakingnews.com)
- You: Guatemalan former dictator to stand trial (guardian.co.uk)
- Former Guatemala dictator to stand trial for genocide (jurist.org)
- Guatemala ex-ruler to stand trial (bbc.co.uk)
- Jose Efrain Rios Montt (nametheproblem.com)
- Guatemala’s Rios Montt guilty of genocide (cnn.com)
- Dictator in Twilight (richardfausset.com)
- Ríos Montt Guilty of Genocide: Are Guatemalan President Perez Molina, U.S. Officials Next? (democracynow.org)