By Batara R. Hutagalung, Founder and Chairman of the Committee of Dutch Honorary Debts:
THE COMMITTEE OF DUTCH HONORARY DEBTS
The Galung Lombok Massacre. Commemoration 2013
On February 1, 1947, the Dutch special troops, Depot Speciale Troepen massacred more than 700 villagers in the village of Galung Lombok, District of Polewali Mandar, West Sulawesi. The victims were from the surrounding villages of Galung Lombok, from the District of Polewali Mandar and the District of Majene.
(List of the names of the victims from booth districts, see: http://batarahutagalung.blogspot.com/2012/06/galung-lombok-massacre-list-of.html)
In connection with this horrific humanitarian tragedy, the people of the West Sulawesi Province will hold the 2nd Congress of the People of Mandar on Saturday, February 2, 2013 at the Assammalewuang Building, Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto, Majene – West Sulawesi.
The Governor of the Province of West Sulawesi, H. Anwar Adnan Shaleh will open the Congress.
Keynote speaker: Salim Mengga, Chairman of the Organisation of the People of Mandar, West Sulawesi
Speakers: 1. Drs. H. Hamzah H. Hasan, Chairman of the Parliament of West Sulawesi.
2. Brig. Gen. (ret.) H. Jawas Jusuf, son of a victim of the massacre.
3. Prof. DR. Edward L. Poelinggomang, Historian at the Hassanuddin University, Makassar.
4. Mulyo Wibisono, SH., MSc, Chairman of the Advisory Board of The Committee of Dutch Honorary Debts.
5. H. Zainuddin, eye witness.
6. Batara R. Hutagalung, Founder and Chairman of The Committee of Dutch Honorary Debts.
To commemorate the killings of more than 700 villagers, on Sunday, February 3, 2013 a commemoration will be held at the Monument of Galung Lombok.
For the first time, a reconstruction of the massacre will be held in a theatrical performance.
More than one thousand people of the Province of West Sulawesi and the Province of South Sulawesi will attend the commemoration.
The Dutch Ambassador to Indonesia, HE Tjeerd de Zwan is also invited to attend the congress and the commemoration.
Some Dutch sources about the massacre in Galung Lombok, see:
To see the pictures, please click:
Dutch apologise for Indonesian executions: here.
- 6.1 magnitude earthquake strikes off coast of Sulawesi, Indonesia (thesurvivalplaceblog.com)
- Tana Toraja, South Sulawesi, Indonesia (greenlightstudenttravelblog.com)