From daily The Morning Star in Britain:
Internet activist hounded to death by US government
Sunday 13 January 2013
The Reddit website co-founder and RSS protocols coder (pictured) faced up to 30 years in prison for “stealing” millions of files from academic journals from electronic archive Jstor by accessing an MIT university computer.
His family, who announced the news at the weekend, said the death was “the product of a criminal justice system rife with intimidation and prosecutorial overreach.
“Decisions made by officials in the Massachusetts US Attorney’s office and at MIT contributed to his death.”
Mr Swartz was also instrumental in mobilising opposition to Coica in 2010, a precursor to current laws limiting internet freedom.
Tributes poured in to 26-year-old, including from world-wide-web inventor Tim Berners-Lee who said: “Parents all, we have lost a child. Let us weep.”
- Aaron Swartz’s family condemns MIT and US government after his death (guardian.co.uk)
- Aaron Swartz: Family of activist and Reddit co-founder blame prosecutors for his death (metro.co.uk)
- Tech Prodigy and Internet Activist Aaron Swartz Commits Suicide (business.time.com)
- Anger at Suicide of Internet Activist Aaron Swartz Grows (themoderatevoice.com)
- Death of internet activist Aaron Swartz prompts flood of Twitter tributes (guardian.co.uk)
- Aaron Swartz obituary (guardian.co.uk)
- Technology’s Greatest Minds Say Goodbye to Aaron Swartz (mashable.com)
- Web activist Aaron Swartz dies at age 26 (boston.com)