This video says about itself:
Oct 17, 2012
Greece‘s far-right party, Golden Dawn, won 18 parliamentary seats in the June election with a campaign openly hostile to illegal immigrants – and there are now allegations that some Greek police are supporting the party.
Last week Golden Dawn MP Ilias Panagiotaros led a demonstration that closed down a performance of the Terence McNally play, Corpus Christi.
As police stood by, apparently oblivious, Mr Panagiotaros was filmed shouting racist and homophobic insults at the director of the play, and the actors cowering inside the Chyterio Theatre.
From daily The Morning Star in Britain:
Special forces arrest 80 anarchists at Athens squat
Wednesday 09 January 2013
Anarchists attempting to reoccupy a longstanding Athens squat were confronted by Greek special forces who made at least 80 arrests today.
The face-off centred on the Villa Amalia site, whose occupants were forcibly evicted by police on December 20.
Several anarchists also mounted a short-lived occupation today of offices belonging to the Democratic Left party, which has collaborated in pushing through a relentless barrage of cuts ordered by the European Union, European Central Bank and International Monetary Fund in return for multibillion-pound bail-out loans.
Leftist opposition group Syriza, which retains a pro-EU stance despite the economic punishment meted out by the bloc, condemned the occupation of party offices but hit out at police tactics that it branded a “strategy of suppression and diversion.”
The group said: “We are not going to make a big issue out of a minor one when most households are literally freezing because they can’t pay the electricity bill or buy heating fuel or when dozens of businesses are closing down while millions of unemployed are being crushed on the margins of society.”
- Greek police arrest 100 at squat, sparking protests (news.terra.com)
- The tourists beaten by Greek police (bbc.co.uk)
- Are Greece’s Ancient Treasures Under Threat? (history.com)
- Far-Right Greek Golden Dawn:”very soon we’re going to be ruling this country” (dogmaandgeopolitics.wordpress.com)
- Greek police clash with migrants at detention centre (news.terra.com)
- Far-right Golden Dawn goes on the offensive in Greece (ekathimerini.com)
- Syrian refugees ‘turned back from Greek border by police’ (guardian.co.uk)
- To Slowly Die or Fight Back? (radicalglasgowblog.blogspot.com)