This is a cattle egret video.
From the Belfast Telegraph in Ireland:
Bird swaps savannahs of Africa… for Donegal
Tuesday, 8 January 2013
A rare bird usually found on the backs of herd animals in the savannahs of Africa has arrived in Co Donegal because of the mild weather.
The discovery has caused excitement among wildlife enthusiasts as the cattle egret is a migratory member of the heron family and is native to Africa and Asia.
It is often found riding on the backs of animals such as wildebeest on the plains of the tropics and sub-tropics.
Birdwatch Ireland development officer Niall Hatch said our milder-than-usual winter and climate change generally were possible factors in the bird’s arrival.
“This is a very rare bird generally for Ireland but getting one as far north as Donegal is an exceptional occurrence,” said Mr Hatch.
Cattle egrets have previously been recorded by Birdwatch Ireland in southern counties including Cork, Waterford and Wexford.
“This is an important sighting not only because it is such a rare bird in the overall Irish context, but when you see birds like this turning up in new areas, it is often a sign that something is changing,” added Mr Hatch.
Cattle egret in Muy on Texel, the Netherlands: here.
Egrets are one of the species targeted by poachers, whose feathers are used as ornamental decorations on several social and festive occasions in India. Ornithologists at Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) have highlighted an advertisement and a news item in the Mumbai edition of newspapers recently that depict the use of egret feathers on social and festive occasions: here.
- Puddin Pointy-Toes (John): astronomy-to-zoology: Black Heron (Egretta ardesiaca) also referred to as a black egret, the black heron is a wading bird of the family Ardeidae (herons) native to most bodies of water in southern Africa and Madagascar. (dendroica.tumblr.com)
- Capitola Birds (nativesantacruz.org)
- Rare birds flock to Pulicat lake (thehindu.com)
- Photo Adventures – week of 12/3/12 (godsshowpiecephotography.wordpress.com)
- Frolic with feathers (thehindu.com)
- The Ruddy Turnstone (antiguaobserver.com)
- Birding The Richmond Bay Trail 12/29/12 (naturalhistorywanderings.com)
- Cattle Egret (emmerico.wordpress.com)
- The Cattle Egret (qarrtsiluni.com)
- Bubulcus ibis (Cattle Egret) at Emeralda Marsh Conservation Area, Florida; 28 April 2013 (ramamohan.wordpress.com)