From Wildlife Extra:
Cheetahs in snow? See the video
Where is the only place on earth where you can see cheetahs in snow?
January 2013. Many people are surprised to learn that there is a population of cheetah in Iran at all. They are the last surviving remnant of the Asiatic cheetah race. Once distributed from the Indian subcontinent across Afghanistan, Turkmenistan and Iran to the Arabian Peninsula and Syria, the Asiatic cheetah is now on the verge of extinction and one of the most endangered members of the cat family in the world.
The last survivng cheetahs in Iran mostly live in the semi arid and mountainous northern regions, where there are regular snow falls in winter months.
The last cheetahs in India were shot in 1947. Since then, the Asiatic cheetah has disappeared from most of its former range. In the last 20 years, Iran has been the final stronghold for the Asiatic cheetah, known in Iran as yuz, although there have been occasional reports of cheetahs in Pakistan & Kazakhstan.
According to the latest population surveys in Iran, the cheetah population in Iran does not exceed 70 individuals. There has been some recent controversy in Iran about the cheetah population of Iran, and it has been extensively discussed in the media. On the basis of recent camera trapping efforts ongoing since last winter by the Iranian Cheetah Society (ICS) in collaboration with Iranian Department of Environment (DoE), Conservation of Asiatic Cheetah Project (CACP) and Panthera, the most robust conclusion for the population is fewer than 70.
Namibia: Cheetah Conservation Message Goes to Schools: here.
- Iranian leopards threatened by road plans (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Cheetahs in Iran on the Brink of Extinction (greenprophet.com)
- “Less Than 70 Cheetahs Roam Iran” (greatcatsoftheworld.wordpress.com)
- “Finding Cheetahs in Southeastern Iran” (greatcatsoftheworld.wordpress.com)
- Iran’s 12th International Environment Exhibition – ICS (greatcatsoftheworld.wordpress.com)
- Incredible Slow-Motion Footage of Cheetahs Running (mentalfloss.com)
- Cheetahs in Slow Motion (neatorama.com)
- Cheetah Portrait by Mario Moreno (500px.com)
- National Geographic Films Cheetahs Running With High-Speed Camera (sciencespacerobots.com)
- WATCH: Cheetahs Race In A Horse Park (huffingtonpost.com)