From Mediaite in the USA:
NYT‘s Nicholas Kristof Detained At Bahrain Airport, Live-Tweets It
by Josh Feldman | 7:59 pm, December 17th, 2012
New York Times writer Nicholas Kristof flew into Bahrain today to do a report on government repression, but he was denied entry into the country and detained at the airport for a few hours. Kristof went on Twitter to complain about his detainment by going after the country’s human rights abuses and pointing out that reality show star Kim Kardashian was allowed passage into the country mere weeks ago. Kristof at one point suggested creating a Kardashian-style sex tape to gain entry to Bahrain.
Kristof explained that Bahraini officials informed him he was on a government blacklist that prevented him from entering the country. He said the government isn’t letting him in the country because they do not want “witnesses to its nightly repression in Shia villages.”
But Kristof kept his little plight in perspective, pointing out in a number of tweets that Bahraini citizens are subject to worse punishments than getting held up at the airport. At one point, he remarked that people are “feeling way too sorry for me,” since he’s not being arrested or anything, he’s just stuck at the airport and tweeting from a Starbucks.
Kristof found it amusing that he was denied access to the country while Kim Kardashian was welcomed into Bahrain, tweeting this tongue-in-cheek message to his followers:
And a few minutes ago, Kristof tweeted that he’s on the plane to be deported out of the country, apologizing for not being able to do his intended report on human rights abuses in Bahrain.
See also here.
Bahrain Feature: The Story of Taqi Abdulla, a US Citizen Detained by the Regime: here.
Bahrain: Child held without charge in adult prison: here.
Meanwhile, United States extreme Rightist Pamela Geller declares her support for the Bahraini dictatorship. No, I am not going to link to her site, which also considers French anti-Semite Brigitte Bardot to be an ally of its Islamophobia. Ms Geller depicts any United States secular Muslim who goes to a mosque once a year as a terrible terrorist danger. But she does not mind the Bahraini royal torturing dictatorship; propped up against its own people by the army of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the main source of really extreme Islam in the world. And propped up in its puppet parliament by salafists, the Sunni sectarian fifth column of the Saudi royals.
- New York Times’ Nick Kristof trapped in Bahrain airport; Ben Affleck to the rescue (twitchy.com)
- Bahrain dictatorship jails another human rights activist (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bahrain regime keeps violating human rights (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bahrain regime torture evidence (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Kim Kardashian and Bahrain human rights violations (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bahrain dictatorship paying Kim Kardashian? (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Kim Kardashian, Bahrain torture, and cigarettes (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bahrain dictatorship jails US citizen without trial (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bahrain dictatorship twists even British accomplices’ words (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Kim Kardashian, torture, teargas in Bahrain (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)