This video is called Child poverty in the UK.
By Tony Patey in Britain:
Children ‘steal food’ as they turn up to school hungry
Friday 14 December 2012
Some students turning up to school hungry have been spotted stealing toast while others are skipping lunch because they can’t afford to eat, researchers found.
Charity Children’s Society revealed a teacher found two girls sharing a packed lunch in the school toilets because one had no money for food.
It published a study today, conducted with the Association of Teachers and Lecturers (ATL) and the National Union of Teachers, which revealed that two-thirds of school staff said teachers are providing food or money for meals.
Earlier this year, ATL raised concerns about portion sizes, suggesting young children are being served “very small” school dinners and given limited choice despite paying more for their meals.
The charity’s chief executive Matthew Reed said: “Something is going badly wrong when teachers themselves are having to feed children.
“Every child in poverty should be given a free school meal. Free school meals are key to moving children out of poverty and vital to helping them flourish.”
The Child Poverty Action Group said: “There are so many alarm bells ringing now over the devastating hardship that children and families increasingly face because of the government’s austerity agenda.
“It’s time those who believe in social security as a social and economic good to put aside differences and unite to defend our welfare state.”
See also here.
A shocking new map of Britain which reveals almost half of all children living in major cities are growing up in poverty was unveiled today by a coalition of major charities: here.
- Today’s News: Children in the North East arriving hungry at school (journallive.co.uk)
- 200,000 people set to lose their homes while hungry children resort to stealing food: Oi this is England. (ccs-rochford.co.uk)
- Teachers fear children going hungry (express.co.uk)
- Children going hungry because they cannot afford meals (standard.co.uk)
- Teachers ‘Giving Food Handouts To Poor Pupils’ (news.sky.com)
- Teachers fear children going hungry (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)