This video is on the beached humpback whale.
My previous update said that the condition of the humpback whale, stranded in the Netherlands, was bad. People thought the animal would probably not survive. It cried, and an Ecomare museum employee standing next to it, cried as well.
However, as the tide rose today, the whale seemed to get livelier.
Ecomare museum on Texel and four lifeboats are digging a fairway and using nets at the moment to enable the whale to swim away.
This happens in darkness, in cold weather.
The humpback whale is nicknamed Johannes (John in English).
I hope he will swim again. But I can’t be sure.
UPDATE: a coast guard helicopter is at the scene, for lighting, so the rescuers will be able to see what they are doing.
- Humpback whale beaches on Dutch island (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Good Irish whale news (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Albino humpback whale off Svalbard (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- In pictures: Humpbacks close up (bbc.co.uk)
- Stranded humpback whale struggles to free itself (seattletimes.com)