9 December 2012
“Zainab alkhawaja @angryarabiya yells ‘we are all the hero Aqeel and down down Hamad’ as she gets arrested from #SMC in #bahrain,” they wrote.
Al-Khawaja, who tweets at @angryarabiya, has faced more than one dozen charges this year alone for “speaking out about human rights violations in Bahrain, where dozens of people have been killed since pro-democracy protests began in February 2011,” ABNA news agency reported.
She was to have a verdict in the myriad charges against her announced on Monday.
Al-Khawaja has already been jailed for “illegally” protesting, “insulting the king, and inciting hatred against the regime.”
A “disrupting traffic” charge was made after she staged a one-person protest outside the prison where her father, human rights activist Abdulhadi al-Khawaja, is serving a life sentence for his role in organizing protests.
She again made international headlines after being targeted and shot in the leg with a tear gas canister by police last June. She was then put in a cast, but police did not stop their assaults on her, arresting her and dragging her down a flight of stairs following a one-person protest in August.
She was then jailed for two months, even though she has a young daughter.
Her case has sparked international attention on the small Gulf kingdom, where an uprising has been violently put down by the minority Sunni regime, much with the help of Gulf neighbors, including Saudi Arabia.
US Differences with Bahrain Playing Out in Public: here.
- Kim Kardashian and Bahrain human rights violations (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bahrain dictatorship paying Kim Kardashian? (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bahrain dictatorship jails US citizen without trial (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bahrain dictatorship’s Washington allies (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Kim Kardashian, torture, teargas in Bahrain (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Tortured Bahraini democrat barred from seeing doctors (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Bahrain teenager killed by regime persecution (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)