22 November 2012
Sinterklaas celebration in Suriname is out of the question. The festival has a racist element, the “Zwarte Pieten”.
This festival does not belong in Suriname and should be abolished. Ronald Venetiaan (New Front / NPS) mentioned this issue emphatically in the National Assembly today.
New Front is the main opposition in the parliament in Suriname. The government parties agreed with him.
After Suriname had become independent, in the 1980s, the Sinterklaas celebration had already been abolished once, but it had returned later.
The Hague, the Netherlands: Racism at Pro-Black Pete Demonstration: here.
Dutch racists threaten singer Anouk in Zwarte Piet discussion: here.
Hundreds of demonstrators gathered in Amsterdam on Saturday to protest against the continuing presence of Zwarte Piet, or Black Pete, in Christmas celebrations: here.
USA: Fanning the controversy that has been batted around cable news this holiday season, Bill O’Reilly agreed with Fox News’ Megyn Kelly that Santa Claus is, in fact, white: here.
- Unearthing history: Indian workers killed 110 years ago in Suriname (repeatingislands.com)
- Holiday Stocking History (personalcreations.com)
- Kleurplaat / Coloring (susiart.blogspot.com)
- En Sinterklaas is er weer! (expatsincebirth.com)
- Dutch Christmas parade under fire for ‘blacked up’ Santa’s helpers (telegraph.co.uk)
- Christmas already in the Caribbean? (lisalaughs.wordpress.com)
- Zwarte Piet: A Racist Caricature? (racialicious.com)
- Sinterklaas recipe for Dutch kruidnootjes – spicy little cookies you have to try in honor of Saint Nicolas! (eatandgetmoving.wordpress.com)
- Racist claims threaten existence of Santa helper (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Black Pete exposes the Netherlands’ problem with race (guardian.co.uk)