This video is called Giant Penguin Fossil Reconstructed in New Zealand.
From AFP news agency today:
7 hours ago
BUENOS AIRES — Argentine experts have discovered the fossils of a two-meter (6.5 foot) tall penguin that lived in Antarctica 34 million years ago.
“This is the largest penguin known to date in terms of height and body mass,” said researcher Carolina Acosta, who noted that the record had been held by emperor penguins, which reach heights of 1.2 meters (4 feet) tall.
Lead researcher Marcelo Reguero added that the find, announced Tuesday, will “allow for a more intensive and complex study of the ancestors of modern penguins.”
In its next expedition to Antarctica, during the region’s summer, the team will seek additional fossils of the newly discovered species, as well as information about its anatomy and how the giant penguin might have moved.
Previous finds from prehistoric penguins indicated they did not sport the iconic black and white feathers the birds are known for today, but had reddish-brown and gray plumage.
- Huge penguin fossil found (radionz.co.nz)
- Penguins, Antarctica (photography.nationalgeographic.com)
- Argentine experts find giant penguin fossils in Antarctica (theglobeandmail.com)
- 2 New Emperor Penguin Colonies Spied in Antarctica (livescience.com)
- Movie: March of the Penguins (learntodivetoday.co.za)
- Two new emperor penguin colonies in Antarctica (phys.org)