This video is called Australian Catholic Church admits child abuse.
Unfortunately, not all news from Australia is as fine as the news about the blue whale.
From Al Jazeera:
Last Modified: 22 Sep 2012 09:57
Australia’s Roman Catholic Church has confirmed that more than 600 children have been sexually abused by its priests since the 1930s in the state of Victoria.
The archbishop of Melbourne, Denis Hart, described the figures as “horrific and shameful”.
The admission came in a submission to a state parliamentary inquiry into the handling of abuse cases, however campaigners say the true figure could be up to 10,000 victims.
The church said the 620 cases went back 80 years with the majority taking place between the 1960s and the 1980s, with another 45 cases being investigated.
“We look to this inquiry to assist the healing of those who have been abused, to examine the broad context of the church’s response, especially over the last 16 years, and to make recommendations to enhance the care for victims and preventative measures that are now in place,” the statement said.
Abuse of children by Roman Catholic priests has been a major issue in Australia recent years.
- Dutch bishop’s Icelandic sexual abuse scandal (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Australian Roman Catholic Church admits child sex abuse (telegraph.co.uk)
- Archbishop Phillip Aspinall: Priests ‘Can Report Child Abuse’ (frstephensmuts.wordpress.com)
- Australia to hold wide-ranging judicial inquiry into child sex abuse (guardian.co.uk)
- Australia announces abuse probe (bbc.co.uk)
- NSW Police allege Catholic Church cover up child abuse (shockwaveplasma.blogspot.com)