This video from the USA is called ACLU Challenges Jeppesen Dataplan and CIA Rendition.
From Human Rights Watch in the USA:
Libya: U.S. – Torture and Rendition to Gaddafi’s Country – New Accounts of Waterboarding, Other Water Torture, Abuses in Secret Prisons
Washington — The United States government during the Bush administration tortured opponents of Muammar Gaddafi, then transferred them to mistreatment in Libya, according to accounts by former detainees and recently uncovered CIA and UK Secret Service documents, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. One former detainee alleged he was waterboarded and another described a similar form of water torture, contradicting claims by Bush administration officials that only three men in US custody had been waterboarded.
The 154-page report, “Delivered into Enemy Hands: US-Led Abuse and Rendition of Opponents to Gaddafi’s Libya,” is based on interviews conducted in Libya with 14 former detainees, most of whom belonged to an armed Islamist group that had worked to overthrow Gaddafi for 20 years. Many members of the group, the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG), joined the NATO-backed anti-Gaddafi rebels in the 2011 conflict. Some of those who were rendered and allegedly tortured in US custody now hold key leadership and political positions in the country.
“Not only did the US deliver Gaddafi his enemies on a silver platter but it seems the CIA tortured many of them first,” said Laura Pitter, counterterrorism advisor at Human Rights Watch and author of the report. “The scope of Bush administration abuse appears far broader than previously acknowledged and underscores the importance of opening up a full-scale inquiry into what happened.”
The report is also based on documents – some of which are being made public for the first time – that Human Rights Watch found abandoned, on September 3, 2011, in the offices of former Libyan intelligence chief Musa Kusa after Tripoli fell to rebel forces.
The interviews and documents establish that, following the September 11, 2001 attacks, the US, with aid from the United Kingdom (UK) and countries in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia, arrested and held without charge a number of LIFG members living outside Libya, and eventually rendered them to the Libyan government.
The report also describes serious abuses that five of the former LIFG members said they experienced at two US-run detention facilities in Afghanistan, most likely operated by the CIA. They include new allegations of waterboarding and other water torture. The details are consistent with the few other first-hand accounts about the same US-run facilities.
Other abuses reported by these former detainees include being chained to walls naked -sometimes while diapered – in pitch black, windowless cells, for weeks or months; restrained in painful stress positions for long periods, forced into cramped spaces; beaten and slammed into walls; kept indoors for nearly five months without the ability to bathe; and denied sleep by continuous, very loud Western music.
“I spent three months getting interrogated heavily during the first period and they gave me a different type of torture every day. Sometimes they used water, sometimes not…. Sometimes they stripped me naked and sometimes they left me clothed,” said Khalid al-Sharif, who asserted he was held for two years in two different US-run detention centers believed to be operated by the CIA in Afghanistan. Al-Sharif is now head of the Libyan National Guard. One of his responsibilities is providing security for facilities holding Libya’s high-value detainees.
The Libyan detainee accounts in the Human Rights Watch report had previously gone largely undocumented because most of those returned to Libya were locked up in Libyan prisons until last year, when Libya’s civil unrest led to their release. And the US government has been unwilling to make public the details about its secret CIA detention facilities. The accounts of former detainees, the CIA documents found in Libya, and some declassified US government memos have shed new light on US detention practices under the Bush administration but also highlighted the vast amount of information that still remains secret.
Despite overwhelming evidence of numerous and systematic abuses of detainees in US custody since the September 11 attacks, the US has yet to hold a single senior official accountable. Only a few low-ranking enlisted military personnel have been punished.
See also here.
The 156-page report produced by Human Rights Watch (HW) is based upon interviews with 14 Libyans subjected to “extraordinary rendition” and torture by the CIA and then forcibly returned to Libya, where they were imprisoned and in some cases tortured again by the government of Col. Muammar Gaddafi. Substantiating their testimony are classified documents—communications between the CIA and Libyan intelligence—found in the abandoned offices of former Libyan intelligence chief Musa Kusa after Tripoli fell to NATO-backed rebels in September 2011: here.
The European Parliament today strongly condemned the role of Britain and other EU states in the CIA torture and rendition programme: here.
The UK ans US are both complicit – the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group had an office in London for years while it suited the UK to attack Libya. Once Qaddafi made peace with the West our govt.tortured, rendered and delivered them up to the dictator. This kind of thing has been going on for decades.
Reblogged this on NonviolentConflict.
Pingback: Libyan fundamentalists kill US ambassador | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Libyan NATO allies kill US diplomats | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Italy’s High Court Upholds American Convictions
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: September 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM ET
ROME (AP) — Italy’s highest criminal court on Wednesday upheld the convictions of 23 Americans in the kidnapping of an Egyptian terror suspect as part of the CIA’s extraordinary rendition program.
The ruling marks the final appeal in the first trial anywhere in the world involving the CIA’s practice of abducting terror suspects and transferring them to third countries where torture is permitted.
The 23 Americans all were convicted in absentia following a three-and-a-half-year trial, and have never been in Italian custody. They risk arrest if they travel to Europe and one of their court-appointed lawyers suggested that the final verdict would open the way for the Italian government to seek their extradition.
“It went badly. It went very badly,” lawyer Alessia Sorgato said. “Now they will ask for extradition.”
The Americans and two Italians were convicted last year of involvement in the kidnapping of Osama Moustafa Hassan Nasr, also known as Abu Omar, from a Milan street on Feb. 17, 2003 — the first convictions anywhere in the world against people involved in the CIA’s practice of abducting terror suspects and transferring them to third countries where torture was permitted. The cleric was transferred to U.S. military bases in Italy and Germany before being moved to Egypt, where he says he was tortured. He has since been released.
Those convicted include the former Milan CIA station chief, Robert Seldon Lady, whose original seven-year sentence was raised to nine years on appeal. The other 22 Americans, all but one identified by prosecutors as CIA agents, face seven-year terms.
Previous Italian governments had declined to act on prosecutors’ request to extradite the American suspects, most of whom had court-appointed lawyers the defendants never met. While some of the defendants in the case were known figures attached to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Milan, many of those named in the trial are believed to have been aliases, impeding any formal extradition.
Among those whose sentence was upheld was Air Force Col. Joseph Romano, who was head of security at the Aviano Air Force base where the Egyptian cleric was driven from Milan before being taken by plane to Germany and eventually Egypt.
Romano’s lawyer, Cesare Bulgheroni, said he would appeal the verdict to the EU human rights court in Strasbourg on the basis that Romano was never formally notified of the charges against him, and that lower courts had rejected some witnesses. Romano was one of only two Americans who received permission to hire his own lawyer during the original trial.
The court also ordered new appeals trials for five Italian intelligence agents, including the former head of military intelligence, Nicolo Pollari. They had been acquitted by lower courts because of state secrets.
During the original trial, three other Americans were acquitted: the then-Rome CIA station chief Jeffrey Castelli and two other diplomats formerly assigned to the Rome Embassy. Prosecutors appealed the acquittal, as they can in Italy. The appeal is still pending in Milan.
Egyptian Organization for Human Rights (Cairo)
Libya: Rights Group Calls for the Prosecution of ‘Mansour El Khyia’ Killers
12 September 2012
EOHR expresses its deep concern on the deliberated news on the finding of “Mansour El Khyia”, the former opponent and the board member at the Arab Organization for Human Rights (AOHR), buried at one of the villas of Tripoli, calling the Libyan government for the immediate investigation of the case, and the human rights organizations for the prosecution of the killers.
On the 10th of October 2012, the Libyan authorities’ investigations with the former Libyan head of Intelligence “Abd Allah El Snoussy” has revealed his confession of burying “El Khyia” in one of the villas of Tripoli. In this regard, EOHR stressing on that the finding of Mr. “Mansour El Khyia” killed improves the theory, adopted by EOHR during the nineties, stating the joint involvement of both the former Egyptian and Libyan governments in highjacking and killing “El Khyia”, asserting on its intention to persecute whoever will be involved in this case.
On the other hand, EOHR is ensuring the importance of the joint effort of all international and Arabian human rights foundations to uncover the circumstances behind the killing of “El Khyia”, and prosecuting the involvers.
It is worth mentioning that “Mansour El Khyia”, the former Lybian foreign minister, the former opponent, and the board member of the AOHR, disappeared in Cairo on the 11th of December 1993, where the Egyptian authorities intended to state of knowing nothing about his disappearance, at that time.
Pingback: Libya, the CIA and Syria | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Libyan US ambassador murder, what politicians forget | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Torture in British history | Dear Kitty. Some blog