White porpoise in the North Sea – 08/12/30
“We have never seen this in 16 years of research”, Scottish researchers reported on Twitter. In a North Sea bay in the north of Scotland, they saw an almost all white porpoise swimming. The small whale had only a black border around its fin. White or almost white porpoises are seen very rarely. Throughout the world that happened during the last hundred years less than ten times.
Coincidentally, in March between Den Helder and Texel, a white porpoise was also seen by porpoises counter Kees Rebel. According to Kees that was an immature specimen, about eight months old. “It was completely white. I saw it come up about fifteen times.” This white porpoise was seen again three days later, then near the German Wadden Sea island Juist. Because that porpoise was completely white, it is possible that the Scottish observation was another individual. That would be really special!
Porpoise beaches on Texel: here.
Porpoise beaches on Ameland: here.
Yangtze finless porpoise population declines: here.
April 2013. The Yangtze finless porpoise population has declined to a mere 1,000 individuals, making the endangered species even more rare than the wild giant panda, according to the 2012 Yangtze Freshwater Dolphin Survey Report: here.
China takes steps to save remaining endangered finless porpoises: here.
Why do killer whales go through menopause? Here.
- Albino humpback whale off Svalbard (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Humpback whales frolicking amid Fleet Week, America’s Cup (sfgate.com)
- Albino humpback whale spotted off Australian coast (telegraph.co.uk)
- Sad end for 26ft minke whale stranded on North Sea beach (itv.com)
- Caribbean marine mammal reserve (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Whale Watching from the Jolly Breeze in St. Andrews, New Brunswick (ellefeeney.com)
- Dolphins are marine mammals closely related to whales and porpoises. (lifeissublime.wordpress.com)
- Rare Chinese Porpoises Dive Toward Extinction (livescience.com)
- Next Whale Trail event set: ‘Harbor Porpoises in the Salish Sea’ (westseattleblog.com)
- Sperm whales off Scotland (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)