This video says about itself:
The first-ever sighting and recording of a species of sunfish in the Galápagos is made.
Ecomare museum on Texel island in the Netherlands reports that last Sunday a ocean sunfish, rare for the Netherlands, was seen.
The fish swam near the harbour of De Cocksdorp village. It was about 80-90 centimeter in size, so still a juvenile.
De Cocksdorp in winter: here.
- Texel island rare migratory birds (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Barn owls of Texel island (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Porpoise beached alive on Texel island (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- The Slufter on Texel island and its birdlife (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
- Arctic seal fossil on Dutch beach (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Sunfish science on Radio NZ (tepapa.govt.nz)
- The Biomimicry Manual: What can the Sunfish Teach Us About Submarines? (inhabitat.com)
- Rare bird ringed in the Netherlands (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
- Omaha sunfish in spotlight (stuff.co.nz)
- Kaap Skil Maritime and Beachcombers Museum by Mecanoo (dezeen.com)
wow… what an amazing video to share 🙂
Thanks for your kind comment!
Sunfish are tropical, so rare near Texel, but apparently rare near the Galapagos as well.
You’re welcome Petre41..first time hearing of such a fish. So it was a great share 🙂
Hope you have a great weekend!! 🙂
Thank you! Sunfish can grow to over 3 meter:
I love sunfishes. They’re just so distinctive – a huge, strange, silly looking fish.
Did you read the story about the sunfish, freed after rehabilitation in an aquarium?
No I haven’t, that’s a neat little story. Thanks for sharing, especially with another link to the opah, or moonfish. Those guys are really fascinating creatures too!
Thanks for your comments! It is always good to know that one’s blogging is useful to others.
Pingback: White porpoise in North Sea | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Deep sea fish on Dutch beach | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Ecomare museum on Texel island, video | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Ocean sunfishes beached in the Netherlands | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Ocean sunfish in Wadden Sea | Dear Kitty. Some blog