Today, 14 August 2011, it is reported that 24 animal species, new for the Netherlands, have been discovered this year.
They are all invertebrates, mainly insects.
One relatively big … well, 6 millimeter … wasp species was recorded for the first time in the Netherlands. It is Pseudomalus triangulifer.
Chalcidoidea are much smaller wasps. About a 1000 species had already been recorded in the Netherlands; this year, 17 new species were added.
Three hemiptera, bug, species were recorded for the first time ever in the Netherlands this year.
- New bee species named after Noam Chomsky (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Let me introduce myself — leafcutter bee Megachile chomskyi from Texas (eurekalert.org)
- More than half of plant and animal species in UK dying out, says report (telegraph.co.uk)
- New Species of Leafcutter Bee Discovered in Texas (sciencespacerobots.com)
- The wild one, A story of lust and adventure (expertscolumn.com)
- One-third of animal species will be hit by climate change, scientists warn (guardian.co.uk)
- As climate changes, one species faces extinction by becoming exclusively female (pri.org)
- Global Warming May Cause Major Extinctions By 2080, Study finds (hngn.com)