This is a French language video on springboks.
This video from Canada is called Diving Birds in the Prairies: Late Cretaceous Hesperornithiformes.
From the BBC today:
The meteorite impact that coincided with the disappearance of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, also saw a rapid decline in primitive bird species.
Only a few bird groups survived through the mass extinction, from which all modern birds are descended.
Researchers at Yale University have published their findings in PNAS this week.
This video from Norway is called Katzenjammer performs live “Ain`t no thang”.
By Jack Carr in Britain:
The Water Rats, London WC1
Tuesday 20 September 2011
Norwegian all-female four-piece Katzenjammer are a refreshing anomaly in an arid landscape of zero-effort poseur punk.
They formed— as so many truly original groups have — on a spontaneous ethic of relishing music for its own reward and an unconceited regard for the childish joys of performance.
And they can really wail.
Having just smashed an armful of British festivals to pieces they find themselves in this surprisingly unimpressive hole in the fabric of King’s Cross, playing to an audience of deep-voiced lads.
They manage to grunt and gurgle through a set that may be remembered as fondly as any of the early Sex Pistols’, apparently under the impression that the girls are here to provide wallpaper with tits.
But it is they who are the fools.
The girls’ razor-sharp, dry wit and stunning instrumental familiarity form a diamond-tipped point which laser-guides their incredible Abba-tinged gypsy-punk even deeper into the gaping mouth of a whooping audience.
Jumping between instruments with a bewildering fury, they offer well over an hour of indefinable fusion ranging from crushed folkbilly and faeryland devil-sweetened hymns to queer, heavenly four-part vocal harmony.
Captivating, confidently camp and utterly thrilling, don’t ever miss a chance to see Katzenjammer.
By Mike Head in Australia:
Australian media “inquiry” designed to protect Murdoch empire
20 September 2011
The Gillard government last week announced a narrowly-focussed inquiry into the print and on-line media. The six-month inquiry, to be run by a former judge with no powers to compel witnesses, is clearly designed to defend Rupert Murdoch’s interests in the face of the ongoing phone-hacking and influence-peddling scandal wracking his News International group in Britain and globally.
Communications minister Senator Stephen Conroy flatly ruled out any examination of the two most obvious issues raised by the exposure of Murdoch’s British operations: whether his News Limited outlets have conducted similar activities in Australia, and the grip that Murdoch and a handful of other proprietors have over the Australian media—which has one of the most concentrated ownership structures in the world.
“In terms of a witch hunt to breakup News Limited or to attack News Limited, we’re not interested,” Conroy told a media conference last Wednesday. “I don’t need an inquiry to establish that the Murdoch press owns 70 percent of the newspapers in this country. We’ve all known that for years.”
In fact, the inquiry seeks to strengthen the virtual monopoly held over the Australian print media by News Limited and John Fairfax Holdings, which between them own 11 of the 12 capital city daily papers and the overwhelming majority of the regional and local papers. The government’s overriding concern is that the explosion of on-line media outlets over the past decade has undermined the power of the media moguls.
Conroy said: “The pressures brought about by the advent of digital technologies and the 24 hour news cycle are threatening the traditional business models that support the essential role of the media in our democratic society.” The Labor government, no less than the press barons, is concerned at the intrusion of the Internet and its wider range of commentary and expression into the present, tightly controlled media monopoly.
The inquiry’s terms of reference speak of exploring means of “supporting the investment by traditional media organisations in quality journalism and the production of news.” This terminology echoes that used by Murdoch himself in 2009, when he announced measures to try to reverse the rapidly declining profits of his newspapers around the world by making readers pay for on-line content.
Murdoch denounced the “content kleptomaniacs” of the Internet, declaring that the time had come to shut the door on them. He told analysts in mid-2009 that the traditional newspaper business model had to change. “Quality journalism is not cheap, and an industry that gives away its content is simply cannibalising its ability to produce good reporting,” he said.
In reality, Murdoch’s media outlets have nothing to do with “quality journalism”. In Australia, as in Britain and the US, they pursue a relentless free-market agenda, coupled with flag-waving support for US-led military interventions and a constant diet of sensationalism, banality and the demonising of workers, refugees and other vulnerable people.
Through their monopoly, the media empires wield considerable political power. As Conroy himself declared: “They set the agenda every day for our national conversation.” Since being installed in June 2010 through a backroom coup, Prime Minister Julia Gillard has at least twice met with Murdoch personally, and time and again her government has taken its cue from his News Limited editorials.
There is nothing in the inquiry’s terms of reference about privacy breaches, the issue that triggered the British revelations. For all the self-serving claims of the media groups that there is “no evidence” of similar practices in Australia, there have been frequent examples of the media intruding into the lives of particularly the most vulnerable layers of society, such as welfare recipients, in order to demonise them. Any probing of such practices might well open a can of worms—as it did in Britain.
Britain: The Metropolitan Police threatened Guardian journalists with the Official Secrets Act over the paper’s reports on the phone-hacking scandal that engulfed the Murdoch media empire earlier this year: here.
On Tuesday, citing procedural irregularities, the Met dropped its attempt to force the Guardian to hand over its sources for stories exposing phone hacking by Rupert Murdoch’s News of the World: here.
MPs are set to question a top Scotland Yard officer over the Met’s dropped bid to force the Guardian to reveal confidential sources relating to the phone-hacking scandal: here.
Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson is suing his ex-employer after it stopped paying his legal fees in relation to the phone-hacking scandal: here.
Rupert Murdoch’s News International has made a £3 million offer to the family of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler. It is an attempt to settle the phone hacking case that led to the closure of the News of the World: here.
Surrey Police knew for nine years that the News of the World hacked the phone of murdered teenager Milly Dowler: here.
Rupert Murdoch wants to teach your kids: here.
New allegations about the phone-hacking scandal have hit News International, with claims of more victims and fresh legal rows: here.
Conrad Black: My Destruction by Murdoch: here.
From daily News Line in England:
Tuesday, 20 September 2011
EVICTION REPRIEVE – AT DALE FARM
DALE Farm residents won an injunction late yesterday, restraining police and bailiffs from dismantling structures on the site until a hearing at the High Court at 11.30am on Friday.
‘I feel like I’m five miles up in the air. we have that little bit of hope now. We feel like partying,’ said one young Dale Farm resident on hearing the news.
The order relates to the infrastructure, buildings and caravans and also instructs the council not to cut off the utilities.
Earlier, at 3pm, with two police helicopters swooping overhead, defiant women and children on the scaffolding above barricades at the entrance to the site jeered angrily at police and bailiffs as they marched up.
A bailiff announced by megaphone that the eviction would go ahead and then they all marched away again, with angry residents and supporters jeering them as they went.
Dale Farm resident Patrick James Joyce told News Line: ‘You don’t know what tactics they are going to try, but the likelihood is that people will be hurt.
‘They’ve got a special camp for the bailiffs and one for the police, hundreds and hundreds of riot police and riot vans, up at Barleyland Fair towards Billericay.
‘They’ve spent £10 million on the police, eight-and-a-half million for the bailiffs and that’s on top of three-and-a-half million in legal fees over the past 10 years.’
Noreen told News Line: ‘I am terrified, it is very distressing, we will see what today is going to bring us. We are very happy with all the support, in Dublin yesterday 400 people marched for us.’
Daniel Sheridan said: ‘I am very angry, I am 66 years of age. I am not able to go on the road any more. I have lost the sight in one eye, all my grandchildren were born here. This is racism, they’re telling us to go back to Ireland. I have got nothing in Ireland, I left Ireland in 1963. My grandchildren were getting educated here. They can read and write, this takes it all away.’
John Sheridan said: ‘I am upset. What are they putting us out of here for? We are doing no harm. It is racism really. I have a 70-year-old mother, she cannot get her breath. She is on a machine. My dad died fighting for here 12 months ago.’
John’s 14 year old son, also called John, said: ‘I have lived here most of my life. We are very upset and angry. We bought a licensed scrap yard and now they are saying it was a green field. It was never a green field.
‘I am worried for the old people. They are going to croak. Half the people in here suffer with their hearts and if the bailiffs go in, it will kill them.
‘There are a lot of young people in there. Their education will end. You cannot go to school when you are on the road.’
Margaret said: ‘My baby is due in five weeks. I am very distressed about the eviction and getting put out of our homes. There is nowhere to go when we leave.’
Kathleen Sheridan said: ‘There are some people in there with chains round their necks. They are prepared to die. There are sick elderly people in there, who they are throwing out of their homes.’
Danny Gee said: ‘This has to be stopped. What Basildon council is doing is killing old people. It would be more humane to get a gun and shoot them. The trade unions should stand up and be counted. What is happening here is happening all over the country. Local people are getting evicted all over the country.’
Eighty-year-old Patrick Quiligan said: ‘I have arthritis, I am a diabetic, I have angina, I am taking nine tablets a day. I am very concerned. I have no place to go. Do you not think that this is ridiculous here? What a waste of money, with half the world starving. A lot of my children and grandchildren live in Dale Farm. Getting evicted will kill me, I’d say.’
Michael said: ‘This cannot be a Green Belt issue, because if it was, why is it in the news every night that from next month the planning laws are being scrapped. This is an issue of racism.’
Maria Sheridan said: ‘I am terrified for myself and my family. I am scared to death. I cannot sleep at night. It is so heart-breaking. Grannies are getting ripped away from their families. They are ruining people’s lives.’
Dale Farm residents and supporters warned today that the fight to save their homes is far from over despite their eviction being delayed: here.
From the BBC:
20 September 2011 Last updated at 09:56 GMT
Dale Farm: Plot holders to get individual quit notices
Basildon Council is to serve enforcement notices later on each of the 51 illegally occupied plots at the travellers’ site at Dale Farm in Essex.
Travellers have been granted an injunction until Friday preventing Basildon Council entering the site to clear the unauthorised plots.
Constant & Co, the “specialist” bailiff firm that is ready to evict Dale Farm Travellers, promotes itself with racist language: here.
Traveller activists at Dale Farm in Essex began breaking down their own barricades today but declared that it was a goodwill gesture rather than surrender.
Dale Farm travellers’ legal fight continued at the High Court today where lawyers for 400 residents urged the court to extend an injunction which has barred Basildon Council from deploying an £18m eviction operation.
Dale Farm families gained a few days’ grace today when High Court judge Justice Edwards-Stuart extended a week-long injunction against Basildon council’s eviction order.
DALE Farm residents won another reprieve in the High Court yesterday, after a judge ruled that Basildon Council hadn’t been sufficiently clear in its enforcement notices: here.
Two activists were held today after scaling Basildon council offices in protest against the planned eviction of traveller families from Dale Farm: here.
This video is called Bahrain: “It was a complete bloodbath”.
From Defense Industry Daily; a website for what they themselves call “defense procurement managers and contractors”, the latest euphemism for merchants of death, whose bloody weapons usually have very little to do with “defense” and much with aggressive wars and/or oppressing pro-democracy movements:
Bahrain to Buy Mobile TOW-RF Missiles
Sep 19, 2011 18:57 EDT
The country [Bahrain] serves as the headquarters for the US Navy’s regional 5th Fleet, and recently cooperated with Saudi Arabia and the Gulf Cooperation Council to suppress internal unrest among its Shia population.
A recent request for mobile TOW short range guided missile launchers illustrates that military philosophy. While they could conceivably be used in an internal security role, this buy is more calibrated toward external defense…
The three ellipsis full stops at the end of that sentence are by Defense Industry Daily, not by me. Maybe they were ashamed about their parroting of the Bahrain dictatorship‘s propaganda language. In which bloody oppression of pro-democracy protesters is called “internal security”. In which the Bahrain pro-democracy movement is slandered as sock puppets of the Iranian regime, making “external defense” by the Bahrain absolute monarchy necessary. Maybe Defense Industry Daily were a bit ashamed about their reduction of the pro-democracy movement to “Shia” people, while in fact it is most people of various religious backgrounds not linked to the monarchical clique.
Defense Industry Daily continues:
Sept 14/11: The US Defense Security Cooperation Agency announces [PDF] the Government of Bahrain’s formal request to buy 44 HMMWV jeeps equipped with TOW missile launchers, and accompanying missiles. Bahrain already uses the TOW as its Army’s main anti-armor weapon, but these will be a new variant. While the name is “Tube-launched Optically-tracked Wire-guided” (TOW) Missiles,” the new models don’t uncoil a wire behind them, relying instead on encrypted radio guidance. Even so, if the sale goes through, it won’t require any additional US government or contractor personnel to help.
If Congress doesn’t block the sale, and contracts are negotiated, the prime contractors will be AM General in South Bend, IN, and Raytheon Missile Systems Corporation in Tucson, AZ. The estimated cost is up to $53 million, and the exact request involves:
44 M1152A1B2 Armored High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicles (HMMWVs). The most current version, designed to carry removable armor.
200 BGM-71E-4B-RF (TOW-2A) Radio Frequency (RF) missiles.
7 Fly-to-Buy RF TOW-2A Missiles, used for testing.
50 BGM-71H-1RF TOW-2A Bunker Buster Missiles.
7 Fly-to-Buy TOW-2A RF Bunker Buster Missiles.
40 BGM-71F-3-RF TOW-2B Aero Missiles, with no nose spike, longer range, and warheads designed for top-attack profiles.
7 Fly-to-Buy RF TOW-2B Aero Missiles.
48 TOW-2 Launchers, AN/UAS-12A Night Sight Sets.
Plus spare and repair parts, support and test equipment, publications and technical documentation, personnel training and training equipment, and other forms of U.S. Government and contractor support.
The two days of reckoning in Bahrain are fast approaching as the Al Khalifa junta threatened a bloodbath. On 23rd and 24th September the people of Bahrain will attempt to re-conquer the Pearl Roundabout in order to mourn those who were murdered by the Saudi and Al Khalifa forces in mid March: here.