This video is called Fallout from Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant – Richard Broinowski.
Radiation at the shoreline of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power facility has measured several million times the legal limit, just four weeks after the earthquake and tsunami and days after workers discovered a crack where highly contaminated water was spilling directly into the Pacific Ocean.
Experts say radiation dissipates quickly in the vast ocean, but they are unclear what will be the long-term effects of large amounts of contamination. The new levels prompted the Japanese government on Tuesday to create an acceptable radiation standard for fish for the first time. We’re joined by Philip White of the Citizens’ Nuclear Information Center in Tokyo. “Cancers from this sort of level of radioactivity will not appear in the first few months or year; they will be late-onset phenomena,” White says. “So, it’ll require a lot of monitoring of health to actually see what the impact of this is.” [includes rush transcript]
Workers stopped a highly radioactive leak into the Pacific from Japan’s flooded nuclear complex today, but with the plant far from stabilised, engineers prepared an injection of nitrogen to deter any new hydrogen explosions: here.
Radiation monitoring team update – blog and video: here.
- Fukushima workers becoming ill (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Fukushima, another leak of highly radioactive water (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Radioactive water leaks at 12 sites of Fukushima NPP after heavy rain (voiceofrussia.com)
- Storm Causes Radioactive Leaks at Fukushima (voanews.com)
- Radioactive water leaks at Fukushima as operator underestimates rainfall (crofsblogs.typepad.com)
- Unprecedented deluge leaks radioactive water from Fukushima nuclear plant into Pacific Ocean (sott.net)
- Fukushima overwhelmed with radioactive water (aljazeera.com)
- Massive Radiation Spike at Fukushima From Typhoon Damage (intellihub.com)
- Rainwater overflows barriers around water tanks at Fukushima plant (english.kyodonews.jp)
- Fukushima: New Leak Causes Truly Massive Radiation Spike (thesurvivalplaceblog.com)