British civil liberties threatened


This video is called March for the Alternative in London, March 26 2011.

By Robert Stevens in Britain:

British government seeks new powers to ban demonstrations

1 April 2011

In the aftermath of last week’s Trades Union Congress demonstration in London, when around 500,000 people marched in opposition to the Conservative/Liberal-Democrat government’s £85 billion austerity and cuts package, the British government has launched a new campaign to curtail the right to protest.

Elementary rights are being threatened on the basis of incidents of vandalism and disorder, which took place away from the demonstration—mainly at venues associated with wealth and privilege, including the Ritz Hotel, banks and high street shops.

On Monday, Conservative Home Secretary Theresa May announced in an emergency House of Commons briefing that plans were being urgently considered, including giving the police new powers to issue “banning orders” to prevent people from attending rallies and marches. Other measures to be considered include giving the police further stop-and-search powers, forcing those attending protests to remove face-scarves, masks and balaclavas. Outlining the proposals, May said, “If the police need more help to do their work, I will not hesitate in granting it to them”.

1 thought on “British civil liberties threatened

  1. Thousands protest spending cuts in Northern Ireland

    Thousands marched through the centre of Belfast in Northern Ireland last Saturday, protesting against UK government spending cuts. The march coincided with the 500,000-strong London demonstration against the Conservative/Liberal Democrat government’s public spending cuts of £85 billion.

    The Irish Congress of Trade Unions estimated that 6,000 workers and their families took part in a rally in front of Belfast’s City Hall.

    Firefighter Alan Cunningham said he attended the demonstration to show solidarity, “And to give a message to the politicians at Stormont that we are objecting to the proposed closure of 20 fire stations and the downgrading of such.

    “We’re here to provide a public service, we want to provide that service, we want to have the equipment and the manpower in order to provide the best service we can.”

    In Derry, a protest against the cuts was held in the city’s Guildhall Square. Later that day, between 500 and 1,000 people marched from Derry to Altnagelvin Hospital to protest the health minister’s decision to shelve a planned radiotherapy unit. The decision will result in people in Derry and Donegal having to continue to make the 200-mile round trip to the cancer centre in Belfast.

    http://wsws.org/articles/2011/apr2011/wkrs-a01.shtml

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.