Today again to the “Baillon’s crake reserve”.
In a canal near the entrance, two male common pochard (later, a female).
Over ten tufted ducks, grey lag geese.
Canada geese, great crested grebes.
In the canal close to the southern lake, where I yesterday saw reed buntings and a blue tit in the reedbeds, now a little grebe, great crested grebe, Canada goose and mute swan swimming. And a female mallard with five ducklings.
Coot, moorhen, oystercatcher, lapwing.
In the southern lake, shoveler ducks.
Two black-tailed godwits standing in the water. Teal resting on banks. A gadwall swimming. Redshank sound.
On the footpath, a dead water vole.
Water voles making a comeback… in Cheshire, at least: here.
Prisoners in Their Habitat? Generalist Dispersal by Habitat Specialists: A Case Study in Southern Water Vole: here.
At the northern lake: redshanks. Still hundreds of black-tailed godwits.
A kittle ringed plover again.
A hare running on the dike near the railway.
Two Canada geese drive away two mute swans.
A spoonbill between the great cormorants on a muddy island.
A chiffchaff singing.
A greenfinch singing.
In the northern meadow: a hare running, and Egyptian geese.
A goldfinch singing in a willow tree.
June 2011: Experts are celebrating rocketing numbers of water voles in Gloucestershire’s waterways after the latest survey showed hundreds were living in the county: here.
- Ratty returns: how water voles are making comeback in East Dorset (bournemouthecho.co.uk)
- New water vole colony caught on film (bbc.co.uk)
- Manchester United forced to ditch training ground plans due to water voles (metro.co.uk)
- Man United’s Carrington plans put on hold by water voles (theweek.co.uk)
- Photo of the Day: Adorable water vole caught in rare moment of stillness (treehugger.com)
- Diversification of British wildlife – it’s more than just ditching sheep for alpacas (blogs.independent.co.uk)
- Country diary: Fishbourne Reedbeds, West Sussex: The water vole’s grand designs (theguardian.com)
- Herons, hare and barnacle geese (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Texel bar-tailed godwits and fieldfare (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)