Yemen’s dictator’s concessions to people, too little, too late?


This video is called U.S.-backed Yemen Latest to Draw Protests.

From the New York Times in the USA:

Yemen’s Leader Pledges Not to Seek Re-election

By ALAN COWELL

Published: February 2, 2011

PARIS — In the latest shock wave from protests across the Arab world, President Ali Abdullah Saleh of Yemen sought to forestall new displays of opposition, announcing on Wednesday that he would not stand for re-election when his term expires in 2013 or try to hand on power to his son, news reports said.

Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh addressed the parliament in Sanaa on Wednesday and said he will not extend his presidency beyond 2013.

The announcement conjured yet one more spectacle — unthinkable only weeks ago — of an Arab leader seen as a bulkhead of American policy bowing to pressure from the streets. Since mid-January, the leaders of Tunisia, Egypt and Jordan have all come under pressure from populations they had long held in thrall.

“No extension, no inheritance, no resetting the clock,” Mr. Saleh said in a speech to Parliament, Reuters reported, speaking a day before protesters planned a large rally in the capital, Sana, called a “day of rage.”

His remarks referred in part to proposals that would have permitted him to seek a further term and in part to widespread speculation that, like President Hosni Mubarak in Egypt, he had planned to pass power to his son, establishing a kind of Middle Eastern dynasty that now seems improbable in the turmoil engulfing the region. …

It was not clear whether the announcement would forestall renewed protests or, as has happened in Tunisia and Egypt, embolden those who seek political change and sense a weakness in their ruling elites.

Obviviously these concessions by dictator Saleh are too little, too late. The opposition demands the immediate resignation of Saleh. They do not want him to continue until 2013.

Dutch NOS TV says that the opposition in Yemen is not impressed by the dictator’s speech, and that they will protest tomorrow as they had planned.

The announcement in Yemen came a day after Jordan’s King Abdullah II sacked his government in a seeming effort to pre-empt protests on the enormous scale that forced President Mubarak of Egypt to announce late on Tuesday that he would not stand in a presidential ballot scheduled for September.

Mr. Mubarak’s announcement in Cairo on Tuesday was greeted with derision by throngs of protesters who took to the streets over a week ago to demand his ouster.

In Yemen, one of the region’s most impoverished countries, thousands of people took to the streets last week demanding reform. …

The country’s fragile stability has been of increasing concern to the United States, which has provided $250 million in military aid in the past five years. …

The Yemeni opposition had promised to call a demonstration every Thursday until March, when it will evaluate whether its demands have been met.

See also here.

1 thought on “Yemen’s dictator’s concessions to people, too little, too late?

  1. Pingback: Mubarak down, more dictators to go | Dear Kitty. Some blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.