Afghan war ‘ unwinnable’ for Britain


Thiis video from the USA is called Rethink Afghanistan War (Part 6): Security.

There is no military solution to the war in Afghanistan, the former British diplomat to Kabul admitted today: here.

The number of British veterans seeking help for mental health problems after serving in Iraq and Afghanistan has risen by more than 25 per cent in the past year: here.

The hearing of a US soldier said to have led a bloody terror campaign against Afghan civilians continued today in Seattle: here.

Bombs Away: Afghan Air War Peaks With 1,000 Strikes in October: here.

Matiullah Khan is reportedly illiterate, but he is a very wealthy man. A warlord accused of mass murder, rape and abduction, the June 5 New York Times reported that Matiullah earned US$2.5 million a month through highway robbery, drug trafficking and extortion: here.

Afghan Election Fraud REVEALED In Audio Recording: here.

5 thoughts on “Afghan war ‘ unwinnable’ for Britain

  1. Backtrack on security deadline

    AFGHANISTAN: The government will backtrack on a deadline set by President Hamid Karzai to disband private security companies operating in the country, an official claimed today.

    Firms employing the estimated 40,000 mercenaries in Afghanistan had reached an understanding that the pullout should be “gradual,” the official said on condition of anonimity.

    Mr Karzai had vowed that foreign gunmen, who have been implicated in a series of outrages, would be sent packing by December 17.

    http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/index.php/news/content/view/full/97478

    Like

  2. Dear Friend,

    Tomorrow is Veterans Day, the 10th Veterans Day since the Afghanistan War began.

    The burden of this brutal, futile war falls heaviest on a very small slice of the population: military members and their families. Many of them think that this war is immoral, and that makes fighting in it a weight they’ll have to carry their whole lives. Our new video features the voices of some of these veterans, urging us to rethink the burden we’re laying on troops.

    Rethink Afghanistan is partnering with the Truth Commission on Conscience in War to help lift some of this burden. We’re pushing to expand the rights of veterans who refuse to serve in specific wars on moral grounds. Right now you have to oppose all wars, ever, to be granted conscientious objector status. That’s silly–you don’t have to be a pacifist to think it’s morally wrong to be fighting an endless war in Afghanistan. You can learn more about this push to honor troops’ consciences at the Truth Commission on Conscience in War’s website.

    Share this video with your friends to help honor those who stood up to say, “I can’t fight this war. My conscience won’t allow it.” Let’s all remember what we’re asking of our troops on this Veterans Day.

    Sincerely,

    Derrick Crowe, Robert Greenwald
    and the Brave New Foundation team

    P.S. If you haven’t done so already, please join Rethink Afghanistan on Facebook and Twitter.

    Like

  3. NATO says troops may have killed 3 Afghan civilians

    Wed Nov 10, 12:16 PM

    KABUL (Reuters) – The NATO-led force in Afghanistan said it was investigating whether its troops had inadvertently killed three Afghan civilians on Wednesday while its forces fought insurgents in the south of the country.

    Civilian casualties caused by foreign forces hunting militants have long been a major source of tension between President Hamid Karzai and the West, especially the United States, and led to a falling-out with Washington last year.

    Rules governing the use of air strikes by NATO and U.S. aircraft have been tightened considerably in the past year in response, but incidents still emerge intermittently.

    On Wednesday, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said in a statement it was “looking into the possibility that three Afghan civilians were inadvertently killed and one wounded by ISAF forces” during fighting with insurgents in the Sangin district of Helmand province.

    It said four Afghan civilians had been brought to a nearby ISAF base after the fighting and that three of them had subsequently died.

    Helmand is one of the Taliban’s traditional strongholds in the south and was the launching point for a major counter-offensive by ISAF troops last year.

    ISAF commanders say security has improved in some parts of Helmand but fighting persists in many areas.

    In a mid-year report, the United Nations said civilian casualties had risen 31 percent in the first six months of 2010 compared with the same period last year, with more than three-quarters of the deaths blamed on insurgents.

    In contrast, deaths attributed to “pro-government” forces — Afghan and foreign troops — fell sharply, the U.N. report said, largely because commanders had tightened the rules governing the use of air strikes.

    Violence across Afghanistan, however, is at its worst since the Taliban were ousted by U.S.-backed Afghan forces in 2001, with civilian and military deaths at record levels despite the presence of about 150,000 foreign troops.

    (Reporting by Paul Tait; Editing by David Stamp)

    Like

  4. 3 Afghans may have been killed by foreign troops

    Kabul, Nov 10 (AFP) NATO said today that foreign forces may have killed three civilians and injured another during a firefight with militants in southern Afghanistan.

    The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said in a statement that it was “looking into the possibility” that its troops “inadvertently killed” the civilians during combat operations in Sangin district of Helmand province.

    “Four Afghan civilians were brought to a nearby ISAF base following the engagement. Three died and one was wounded,” the statement added.

    Thousands of Afghan civilians have died in insurgent attacks and operations by Afghan and Western troops since the conflict began in late 2001.

    The United Nations has said that most civilians are killed by the Taliban, although Afghans largely blame the violence on the presence of foreign troops. – (Agencies)

    Nov 11, 2010

    Like

  5. Ottawa wasn’t ready for influx of Afghan wounded, federal minister concedes

    Published On Thu Nov 11 2010

    Minister of Veterans Affairs Jean-Pierre Blackburn, left, and Minister of National Defence Peter MacKay. Blackburn has conceded his department was ill-equipped to deal with an onslaught of wounded soldiers.
    Sean Kilpatrick/THE CANADIAN PRESS

    Bruce Campion-Smith and Allan Woods Ottawa Bureau

    OTTAWA—Canada’s veterans affairs department wasn’t ready for the influx of wounded soldiers from Afghanistan and is now scrambling to revamp benefits to meet the new demands, Veterans Affairs Minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn says.

    Blackburn conceded that a department born to serve the veterans of previous conflicts was ill-equipped for the onslaught of soldiers suffering the scars of Canada’s current war.

    “This department was functioning with traditional veterans. With the Afghanistan situation, this department was not ready,” Blackburn said.

    “Now we are doing those changes to be sure that our new modern veteran will obtain all the services that they should obtain,” he said in an interview Wednesday.

    “The situation in 2010 is not the same one in 1945 or 1953,” he said, referring to World War II and the Korean War.

    All week, the Toronto Star has profiled soldiers wounded in Afghanistan and their struggles to recover from life-altering — and potentially career-ending — injuries. The stories have laid bare frustrations with government red tape, job retraining and a compensation system they say leaves them short-changed.

    This despite an ambitious overhaul of veterans benefits in 2006 meant to modernize the compensation and put renewed focus on getting injured soldiers back to work.

    But Ottawa — spurred by the complaints of outspoken veterans themselves — now recognizes that the veterans’ charter fell short, Blackburn said.

    “The benefits were not adequate. With the implementation of the new charter, we realized with comments from our veterans associations, we realized there were some gaps, some mistakes,” he said.

    As a result, Blackburn plans to introduce a “second chapter” to the charter as early as next week, a package of improvements meant to address the complaints.

    The changes will include guaranteeing financial support for wounded veterans during their rehabilitation, when they get just 75 per cent of their salary, a cut that often meant financial hardship for lower rank soldiers. But under the changes, all wounded veterans will now be guaranteed a minimum annual income of about $40,000.

    He’s also allowing more veterans to tap into a permanent monthly allowance for seriously wounded veterans, worth between $536 and $1,609. More than 3,500 veterans are expected to be eligible for this allowance over the next five years.

    As a result of the changes, the most seriously wounded soldiers in Afghanistan will be guaranteed a minimum yearly income of $58,000, he said.

    Blackburn confirmed that the wounded will only collect the new payments once they become law, despite calls to make the improved benefits retroactive to the time of the injury.

    Changes are also coming next week to the lump sum payments awarded injured soldiers but only to give them the option of stretching the payments out over a period of time. For example, a payment of $200,000 could be spread out with five annual payments of $40,000 each.

    “By doing that we show that we listen to them,” Blackburn said.

    Injured veterans can qualify for a payout of up to up to $276,079, which is reserved for the most seriously wounded. The average payout is about $38,000.

    Yet it’s not clear the promised changes will truly address those angry in the veterans’ community, who complain they’re being shortchanged by the lump sum compared to a lifetime of monthly payments under the old system.

    Many seek either a return to the old system of monthly payments or want the lump sum payment dramatically increased.

    He said the department recognizes that soldiers wounded in Afghanistan are young and not content to let their injuries slow them down.

    “They do not want to go home and be inactive. They want to have other possibilities in their life with the new jobs considering their handicap or their injuries,” he said.

    “It’s not because that you have lost one leg that you cannot do something new in life. There (are) new possibilities. This department wants to support these veterans,” Blackburn said.

    http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/888880–ottawa-wasn-t-ready-for-influx-of-afghan-wounded-federal-minister-concedes

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.