After the Pinochet military dictatorship in Chile … after the failed Rightist military attempt in Venezuela to oust democratically elected President Chavez … after the military dictatorship which overthrew democratically elected President Zelaya of Honduras last year … today, an attempt to replace the democratically elected Leftist government of Ecuador with a dictatorship.
PRESS RELEASE: Obama Administration Should Oppose Any Attempted Coup in Ecuador: here.
Update: according to Dutch NOS TV, the coup attempt seems to be mainly the work of some elements in the police; while the army commander has said that the supports elected President Correa.
Ecuador declares state of emergency: here.
Translation of ALAI article “Ecuador: Attempted Coup”: here.
In a move that could reshape the way the United States deals with post-coup governments, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee approved a bill that would make it easier to provide aid to countries ruled by military regimes: here.
- Ecuador’s Correa slams inequity of officers clubs (nzherald.co.nz)
- An Open Letter to the Media on the ‘Irony’ of Snowden’s Request for Asylum in Venezuela and Ecuador (venezuelanalysis.com)
- What’s in it for Ecuador? (lrb.co.uk)
- Laughing at Snowden’s Asylum Requests (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Ecuador Tells US To Take Its Trade Agreement And Shove It, After Threats Relayed Over Snowden (techdirt.com)
- Cuenca-Ecuador (panamanlife.wordpress.com)