From the Stop the War Coalition in Britain:
Protest on Budget Day – Cut the War – Scrap Trident
Demonstrate Budget Day: Tuesday 22 June
Cut the war, not schools and hospitals
Scrap Trident, not public services
4.30pm – 6.30pm Parliament Square London
Called by Stop the War Coalition and Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
On Budget day the government will announce massive cuts in public services, with the exception of the defence budget. Four billion a year is being wasted on the futile war in Afghanistan, enough to build 200 new schools. An astronomical £70 billion is still planned to be spent on the Trident nuclear missile system.
Join the protest outside Parliament.
According to the Wall Street Journal, military commanders in Afghanistan have arrived at the conclusion that allowing billions of dollars to flow to local and international contractors with the scantest of oversight is kind of a big problem. They “now believe,” the Journal reports, that “the massive infusions of cash are helping engender a culture of corruption that has undermined Afghan support for the government of President Hamid Karzai and the NATO forces that back it”: here.
- War – what is it good for, British MP asks (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Afghan war anniv. rally to hit London (rinf.com)
- British taxpayers’ money for ‘celebrating’ World War I (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Stop the War supports Student Assembly Against Austerity (stopwar.org.uk)
- Why I won’t wear a red poppy on Remembrance Day (stopwar.org.uk)
- Letters: Massaging opinion on military operations (theguardian.com)
- The reality of the first world war is far from glorious says MP Jeremy Corbyn (stopwar.org.uk)