By Raul Connolly in Australia:
United States: Band protests military use of song
14 February 2010
US rock group the White Stripes has protested at what it says is the unauthorised use of an instrumental version of its song “Fell in Love With a Girl” in a recruiting ad for the US military, the New York Times said on February 9.
A statement by the White Stripes, posted on the site of its record label Third Man Records on February 8, said: “The White Stripes take strong insult and objection to the Air Force Reserve presenting this advertisement with the implication that we licensed one of our songs to encourage recruitment during a war that we do not support.
“The White Stripes support this nation’s military … We simply don’t want to be a cog in the wheel of the current conflict, and hope for a safe and speedy return home for our troops.
“We have not licensed this song to the Air Force Reserve and plan to take strong action to stop the ad containing this music.”
From Rolling Stone in the USA:
See also here.
USA: Former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist has settled a lawsuit filed by Talking Heads singer David Byrne after Crist used one of the group’s songs without permission in a campaign ad last year, both parties confirmed Monday: here.
Which musicians won’t let Republicans use their songs on the campaign trail? Here.
- “White Blood Cells” The White Stripes (walkmemorylane.wordpress.com)
- Caroline Pennell “Mesmerizes” With “Beautiful” White Stripes Cover on Voice (gossipcop.com)
- White Stripes score ‘most significant album’ (contactmusic.com)
- The White Stripes On World Cafe (wnyc.org)
- White Stripes beat Radiohead, Oasis and Bob Dylan to claim No 1 spot in best album of past 20 years (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Thee Oh Sees, a White Stripes for my twenties (mjcyrs.wordpress.com)
- The White Stripes Top Two-decade Album Poll (contactmusic.com)
- Ex-Sepultura drummer Iggor Cavalera to form ‘metal version of White Stripes’ (theguardian.com)
- Interview: Illustrator Rob Jones Dreams of Pakistani Goats (eviltender.com)
- IGOR And MAX CAVALERA To Form ‘Metal Version Of THE WHITE STRIPES’ (blabbermouth.net)