Bloodbath threatens in Afghanistan


This video is called The Hidden Massacre of Fallujah.

As US and British troops prepare to attack the town of Marjah in Afghanistan’s Helmand Province, military commanders and the media are openly comparing the operation to the siege of Fallujah, one of the bloodiest war crimes of the Iraq war: here.

Thousands of civilians flee Afghan region as Nato plans onslaught: here.

The Harper government’s suspension of parliament, an act carried out to try to hide the brutal reality of the Canadian Armed Forces’ “Afghan Mission,” underscores the close connection between the growth of militarism and the threat to the democratic rights: here.

Harper runs roughshod over women’s rights: here.

Canada accuses Venezuela of stifling democracy while Parliament remains prorogued: here.

9 thoughts on “Bloodbath threatens in Afghanistan

  1. Aussie ex-soldier jailed in US over Afghan kickback scandal

    * By Peter Mitchell in Los Angeles
    * From: AAP
    * February 06, 2010 12:49PM

    AN ex-Australian Army soldier has been jailed for nine months in the US for his role in a $US900,000 Afghanistan security contract kickback scandal.

    Scott Anthony Walker, 36, told US District Court judge Gerald Bruce Lee overnight he was sorry and took responsibility for his actions.

    After leaving the Australian Army, Walker was lured to Afghanistan by the prospect of earning big money in the private sector.

    Walker took a job as security co-ordinator in Kabul with engineering companies Louis Berger Group and Black & Veatch.

    The companies, as a joint venture, won a $US1.4 billion ($1.62 billion) US government contract and Walker used his position on a committee to attempt to solicit $US900,000 in kickbacks from private security vendors seeking subcontracts.

    The Queenslander was facing more than three years in a US federal prison, but Judge Lee slashed the sentence to nine months because Walker agreed to fly from Australia to the US in November, surrender to American authorities and plead guilty to a charge of conspiracy to solicit a kickback.

    Related Coverage

    * Family pleas leniency for Aussie soldier NEWS.com.au, 1 day ago
    * Sentence cut over kickback Courier Mail, 9 days ago
    * Aussie guard admits Afghan kickbacks NEWS.com.au, 17 Nov 2009

    Walker also handed over secret emails and became a key prosecution witness in the case, which last week led to the guilty plea of an American co-conspirator, Ryan McMonigle.

    Like

  2. Afghan police patrol kills 7 civilians

    Posted: Feb 05, 2010 3:21 PM Updated: Feb 06, 2010 11:01 AM

    By NOOR KHAN
    Associated Press Writer

    KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AP) – Afghan border police mistook a group of villagers gathering wood near the Pakistan border as insurgents and opened fire, killing seven civilians, a police official said Saturday.

    All six officers involved in Friday’s pre-dawn shooting have been arrested and the incident is under investigation, said Gen. Abdul Raziq, the commander of the border police of southern Afghanistan.

    The Afghan-Pakistan border area is a common transit route for both Taliban militants and smugglers, and border police regularly are attacked in the area.

    The officers were driving through Kandahar province’s Shorabak district before sunrise Friday when they spotted the group of seven men and thought they were about to be ambushed, Raziq said. They started shooting from about 400 yards (meters) away and only discovered when they went to recover the bodies that none were armed, he said.

    The officers then confirmed with local residents that the dead were not militants, he added.

    Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.

    Like

  3. MP threatens motion on Afghan documents

    Mon Mar 1, 10:33 PM

    CALGARY (CBC) – A Liberal MP is threatening to table a motion in the House of Commons that, if passed, could see the government in contempt of Parliament for not complying with a House Standing Order to produce unredacted documents about the handling of Afghan detainees by the Canadian Forces.

    Ontario MP Derek Lee, who has drafted the three-part motion, said the government hasn’t complied with requests to release the documents, one made by the Afghanistan committee looking into the detainee situation and the other by an order of the House.

    “If the government doesn’t deliver on the House order, and the majority in the House feels this way, they can find the government or a person in contempt and go about seizing the documents just as a court would,” Lee told CBC’s Power & Politics.

    Lee, who waged a year long-battle in 1991 with the Conservative government of Brian Mulroney over a parliamentary committee’s right to see government documents and won, said he hopes the government will act accordingly with parliamentary law and procedure.

    “Otherwise, there’s confrontation coming between the government and the House of Commons,” he said.

    Lee said he would not move such a motion before Wednesday’s throne speech or Thursday’s tabling of the budget but could do so as early as Friday after consulting with his colleagues.

    “I’ve got my finger on the trigger,” he said. “But I won’t pull it unless I think it’s in the best interest of Parliament and the country.”

    Commenting on Lee’s proposed motion, the Prime Minister’s Office released a statement to Power & Politics, saying, “Our primary focus remains the economy. As the government first made it clear over a month ago, the special committee on Afghanistan will be reconstituted. Officials have and will continue to provide all legally available documents.”

    NDP foreign affairs critic Paul Dewar rejected the PMO’s letter, saying the Afghanistan committee requested a list of documents that the government didn’t supply, and he said those it did provide were heavily censored. Dewar tabled the motion on behalf of the committee to compel the government to release those documents.

    Dewar said he sent a letter to Attorney General Rob Nicholson on Feb. 3, asking whether the government will comply with the House order.

    “To date, we haven’t heard from him and that’s what needs to happen next,” Dewar said. “Is Mr. Nicholson going to comply and is his government going to comply with the order? Yes or no?”

    Like

  4. Pingback: Australians protest Afghan war | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  5. Pingback: U.S. death toll in Afghanistan 1,000 | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  6. Pingback: British military destruction of nature stopped | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  7. Pingback: Afghanistan war brings down Dutch government | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  8. Pingback: NATO kills Afghan civilians once again | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  9. Pingback: NATO dismisses corrupt Geoff Hoon | Dear Kitty. Some blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.