This video is called Animal Bridges – Life Saving Wildlife Crossings HD 2014
Translated from Dutch daily Trouw today:
Herpetoduct in the Veluwe
Under the provincial road N310 between Elspeet and Nunspeet, a herpetoduct has been built. A herpetoduct is a tunnel for beetles, snakes and other reptiles, amphibians and insects. The herpetoduct in the Veluwe is the first of its kind in the Netherlands, the province and the municipality Nunspeet, who paid the construction, said.
Reptiles and amphibians needs tunnels with daylight. There also should be no difference between the temperature inside the tunnel and outside. The tunnel builders have solved this by building an underpass under the road, which has a roof only where the road and bike paths cross the tunnel. Conservation organization RAVON has advised the builders on the construction of the herpetoduct.
The tunnel for reptiles and amphibians under the N310 has become so big that even sheep can pass through. That’s fine, according to the local authority of Nunspeet, because the busy Veluwe road separates two parts of the Elspeter Heath. The heath is a big sheep grazing area, where the sheep will now be able to cross safely as well.
The province of Gelderland has plans to build more herpetoducts on the Ginkel Heath near Ede. The province was also the first one in the Netherlands to have a wildlife bridge built across the A50 highway. Meanwhile, there are more nature bridges, and also over a hundred badger tunnels under smaller roads.
Dutch reptiles and amphibians in winter: here.
Underpass for bats: here.
This is a video about a badger tunnel in Drenthe, the Netherlands.
Underpasses for Animals Can Make Roadways Safer for Cars and Wildlife: here.
- Dutch wildlife corridor live webcam (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Canadian amphibian and reptile free brochures (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Reptile sounds, video (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Fire Salamanders in the Netherlands Wiped Out by Newly Discovered Fungus (blogs.scientificamerican.com)
- Skin-eating fungus kills salamanders (bbc.co.uk)
- North American glass lizard, video (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Canadian reptilian and amphibian science and action (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Mark and Lauren Go Places – The Great Lakes Zoological Society (urbanhermits.wordpress.com)
- Reptile/Amphibian Report (north4th.wordpress.com)