This video is called Białowieża National Park (Poland).
Bialowieza, Poland, 19 May.
Our last morning here.
A little tern flying over a palace park pond.
This is a video of a red-backed shrike couple in the Bargerveen in the Netherlands.
On a shrub on the clearing, a male and a female red-backed shrike sitting together.
A female marsh harrier.
Just outside the park, house martin nests on the post office building.
At the river bridge, a great reed warbler singing.
A beautiful big butterfly, an old world swallowtail, is sitting on sandy soil. Wings spread out, in order to catch morning sun warmth after the wings have become cold in the night.
This is a video of an old world swallowtail emerging from its pupa.
Poland’s environment ministry may destroy the ancient Białowieża Forest: here.
Dutch report on Bialowieza: here.
- Forests and woodlands: readers’ tips (guardian.co.uk)
- Deimatic Display in the European Swallowtail Butterfly as a Secondary Defence against Attacks from Great Tits (plosone.org)
- Silverstick Discovers Europe’s Wild Places (silverstick.typepad.com)
- A Tale of Two Swallowtails (piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com)
- One Lovely Caterpillar. (greatgreths.wordpress.com)
- Crawl into Fall: Cool Caterpillars (showmeoz.wordpress.com)
- Białowieża National Park, Poland (katyaoswaldmurphy.wordpress.com)
- The macabre habits of the butcher bird (lastwordonnothing.com)
- Eastern Red-backed Shrike ssp. kobylini (birdingfrontiers.com)
- Texel island wildlife update (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)