From British daily The Independent:
Polish politician fumes over ‘gay’ elephant
Friday, 10 April 2009
A Polish politician has criticised his local zoo for acquiring a “gay” elephant named Ninio who prefers male companions and will probably not procreate, local media reported today.
“We didn’t pay 37 million zlotys ($11 million) for the largest elephant house in Europe to have a gay elephant live there,” Michal Grzes, a conservative councillor in the city of Poznan in western Poland, was quoted as saying.
“We were supposed to have a herd, but as Ninio prefers male friends over females how will he produce offspring?” said Grzes, who is from the right-wing opposition Law and Justice party.
The head of the Poznan zoo said 10-year-old Ninio may be too young to decide whether he prefers males or females as elephants only reach sexual maturity at 14.
Maybe Mr Grzes is seeing pink elephants …
Polish local authority homophobia: here.
‘Gay writing’ falls foul of Amazon sales ranking system: here.
Homophobia in Peru: here.
- Health of elephant improves (thehindu.com)
- Mali, Africa’s most northern elephants (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- New elephant, rhinoceros discoveries (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Asian elephants’ social networks research (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Elephants Stranded In Siberia Saved By Vodka (eurasiareview.com)