Anti Afghan war die-in in London


This video is called US Soldiers Abuse Afghan Civilians.

From British daily The Morning Star:

Protesters plan die-in at Afghanistan war HQ

Friday 03 April 2009

ANTI-WAR protesters said on Friday that they will stage a die-in at Britain’s Afghanistan war HQ in north-west London next month.

The action will be the first large-scale civil disobedience against the war in Afghanistan.

It will take place in Northwood in the wake of Friday’s NATO summit in France, at which Prime Minister Gordon Brown offered to send more British troops to Afghanistan to provide security during the forthcoming presidential election.

The temporary increase in troop numbers would be subject to “appropriate burden-sharing” by other NATO allies, British officials said.

Maya Anne Evans, who is the first person to be convicted for demonstrating without police permission in the vicinity of Parliament, will take part in the die-in.

She said: “The majority of people in Britain want all British troops home from Afghanistan, but we’re still there and we’re putting more troops in at the request of President Obama.

“The blood of Afghan brides and grooms is on our hands, thousands of Afghan civilians have been killed by US/NATO bombing. This has to stop – and that’s why I will be taking part in non-violent civil disobedience at Britain’s Afghan war headquarters on May 27.”

The date of the protest marks the second anniversary of an attack on a wedding party at Haji Nabu in Afghanistan in which 47 civilians were killed by US bombing.

See also here.

US President Barack Obama failed to drum up significant troop commitments for the Afghan war at a NATO summit in Strasbourg on Friday: here.

INTERNATIONAL aid agencies condemned Washington‘s surge plan for Afghanistan on Friday, warning that it could serve to increase civilian casualties without delivering greater security: here.

3 thoughts on “Anti Afghan war die-in in London

  1. 46 bodies found in truck container

    AAP

    April 05, 2009 06:40pm

    PAKISTANI and Afghan officials were today preparing to send home the bodies of 46 Afghans found crammed into a truck container believed to have been bound for Iran, officials said.
    The container carrying around 110 people was found about 20 kilometres south of Quetta, capital of oil and gas rich Baluchistan, a province of Pakistan bordering Afghanistan and Iran, police said.

    “The death toll is 46,” police official Ghulam Dastagir told AFP from the southwestern province after the bodies were found on Saturday.

    ”(Another) 45 people were unconscious and have been admitted to hospital,” the official added.
    The investigations of the matter have been handed over to the Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) which deals with immigration matters.

    “We are investigating the matter and have contacted the Afghan consulate in Quetta, who have visited the hospital,” FIA director Shahab Azeem told AFP.

    “According to initial investigations the survivors have told us that they boarded the container at Chaman border and had to come to Quetta for onward journey to Iran,” Azeem said.
    Related Coverage

    * Afghan illegals die in containerThe Australian, 6 Apr 2009
    * Bodies found in shipping containerNEWS.com.au, 5 Apr 2009
    * US plan for drone raids in PakistanThe Australian, 19 Mar 2009
    * Pressure to widen strikes at TalibanThe Australian, 19 Mar 2009
    * Bridge attack shuts NATO routeNEWS.com.au, 4 Feb 2009

    The official said that a case had been registered against an Afghan national, Gul Agha, who according to victims charged 30,000 rupees ($A525.69) each to take them to Iran.

    Pakistan’s private Edhi welfare trust charity said it had put the bodies of the victims in coffins and was prepared to transport them to Chaman border, near the Afghan town of Spin Boldak in southern Kandahar province.

    “We have put the bodies into coffins and if asked will transport them to Chaman,” Edhi official Mohammad Babul told AFP.

    “We have been able to talk to some of the people who were trapped in the container. They were all Afghans in the container and the container was going to Iran,” senior police official in Quetta, Wazir Khan Nasir, said earlier.

    “When the condition of people inside the container deteriorated, the driver fled, leaving the container” and the truck, Nasir said.

    Survivor Nizar Ahmed, 15, told AFP from hospital that he came from the province of Paktia in eastern Afghanistan.

    “We have all come from Afghanistan and we were going to Iran,” he said, without being able to explain why they were bound for the Islamic republic or when they left home.

    Police official Mohammad Zaman Karim said that around 110 people were crammed into the container, adding that the driver and his assistant apparently fled on foot after suspecting that people inside the container had died.

    Three of the dead were teenagers aged between 13 to 15, he added.

    Local inhabitants and police realised there were people inside when they heard sounds coming from within the container, police said.

    Like

  2. Pingback: War criminal Blair candidate for EU president | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  3. Pingback: British invasion of Pakistan? | Dear Kitty. Some blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.