This is a video about the Nickerie river.
Suriname, 5 February.
As reported earlier, our ship goes up the Nickerie river.
Already soon after Wageningen, greater anis along the river banks.
Blue and yellow macaws flying.
White-winged swallows flying low over the river.
We pass a half sunk small dinghy at the bank. It is called Titanic. After that, hardly any other ships or boats. We are going into the interior of Suriname: mainly virgin forest, where few people live.
We hear a bananaquit. Many plumbeous kites sitting in treetops, looking for insects to catch.
A turkey vulture on a leafless tree.
A spotted sandpiper, without the spots of its North American summers, as it is wintering here now.
An Amazon kingfisher in a tree which has fallen into the river.
A bat falcon.
First a bare-necked fruitcrow; then a great black hawk.
A big group of band-rumped swifts passing over the treetops.
Then, another group, this time painted parakeets.
Then, an individual bird, but a special individual: an anhinga.
We can hear now that we are really in the virgin forest, as everywhere we can hear the cry of the screaming piha, the ‘voice of the jungle’. Some people in Suriname use that bird call as their cellphone ringtone.
A juvenile king vulture high in the sky; also a species of the interior rather than of the coastal region.
Three dusky parrots crossing the river as it is getting dusky near sunset.
At 18:57, in some of the last remnants of sunlight of today: a white-headed piping guan in a treetop on the bank.
A lesser nighthawk announces nightfall.
Two orange-winged parrots fly to their sleeping tree.
In the dark, a boat-billed heron is just visible on the right bank.
- 60 new animal species discovered in Suriname (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Steller’s sea eagle, macaws and kingfishers (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Tropical parrot drives English combine harvester (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Cuban ballet, Shaolin Monks, Wycliffe Jean to perform at Carifesta XI in Suriname (repeatingislands.com)
- Suriname Artist, Eriq Riebeek (somarbar.wordpress.com)
- Suriname mi lobi kondre (femfoto.wordpress.com)
- Lesser Yellow-headed Vulture “Cathartes burrovianus” (avianwatcher.wordpress.com)