This is the first video about the My Lai massacre.
This is the second video.
From Al Jazeera:
Revisiting the My Lai massacre
Pham Thi Tuan says she lay motionless among dead bodies for hours in the ditch where she and her baby daughter had been herded with more than 100 other people.
It was only the corpse of her father that prevented her from being killed on March 16, 1968 in what gained universal notoriety as the My Lai massacre.
Now 75, Pham is one of the few remaining survivors of the atrocities that saw US soldiers from Charlie Company chopper in to the tiny hamlet in central Vietnam and spend the next four hours killing and maiming up to 500 innocent Vietnamese, many of them women and children.
More than 40 years on the memories are still painful.
“They ordered all of the families to sit or stand in the ditch. Then they shot,” she says. “After five minutes they shot the second time. If they heard weeping they shot a third time.
“I cannot forget it as long as I live. I even remember the shooting of my people in the ditch in my dreams.”
The hard facts of the massacre are well established through gruesome photographic evidence. When news of the killing emerged more than a year later 26 members of Charlie Company were arrested and many charged with murder.
Only William Calley was convicted and he served just four and a half months of his prison sentence.
But although the ‘what’ of My Lai is now known the reasons why such a crime could be committed against civilians are not and as the 40th anniversary of the killings passed, rampages such as Haditha in Iraq mean old wounds are being reopened and old questions asked once more.
The crime that shook the world. Fifty years ago a US army unit committed one of the worst war crimes ever. PETER FROST recalls the massacre of My Lai.