This video is called Naomi Klein: Disaster Capitalism.
From British daily The Guardian:
Beware the Chicago boys
Obama‘s vow of love for free markets gives reason to fear a replay of Bill Clinton’s 1993 U-turn
o Saturday June 14 2008
Barack Obama waited just three days after Hillary Clinton pulled out of the race to declare, on CNBC: “Look. I am a pro-growth, free-market guy. I love the market.” Demonstrating that this is no mere spring fling, he has appointed the 37-year-old Jason Furman, one of Wal-Mart‘s most prominent defenders, to head his economic team. On the campaign trail, Obama blasted Clinton for sitting on the Wal-Mart board and pledged: “I won’t shop there.” For Furman, however, Wal-Mart’s critics are the real threat: the “efforts to get Wal-Mart to raise its wages and benefits” are creating “collateral damage” that is “way too enormous and damaging to working people and the economy … for me to sit by idly and sing Kum Ba Ya in the interests of progressive harmony”.
Obama‘s love of markets and his desire for “change” are not inherently incompatible. “The market has gotten out of balance,” he says, and it most certainly has. Many trace this profound imbalance to the ideas of Milton Friedman, who launched a counter-revolution against the New Deal from his perch at the University of Chicago. And here there are more problems, because Obama – who taught law at Chicago for a decade – is embedded in the mindset known as the Chicago School.
Obama chose as his chief economic adviser Austan Goolsbee, a University of Chicago economist on the left side of a spectrum that stops at the centre-right. Goolsbee, unlike his Friedmanite colleagues, sees inequality as a problem. His primary solution, however, is more education – a line you can also get from Alan Greenspan.
See also here.
Obama and ‘free trade’: here.
Obama and public opinion in other countries: here.
What Obama didn’t say on Father’s Day: here.
Michelle Obama: here.
McCain and military industry: here.
- Don’t Commit Sociology When It Makes Sense (saskboy.wordpress.com)
- Book 10 Naomi Klein ‘The Shock Doctrine’ (katesjc6189.wordpress.com)
- The Shock Doctrine 2009 (disclose.tv)
- Bill McKibben and Naomi Klein to join Canada’s tar sands ‘healing walk’ (guardian.co.uk)
- Groups March on Alberta Tar Sands in Walk to Heal Earth and People (commondreams.org)
- Ezra Klein: Edward Snowden, Patriot: Noted for August 9, 2013 (delong.typepad.com)
- Outstanding ‘complexity’ wins Naomi Klein £50,000 inaugural Warwick prize (3quarksdaily.com)