This is an ITN video about polar bear cub Flocke in Nuremberg zoo in Germany.
From British daily The Independent:
US censors Arctic scientists’ findings as it prepares for oil and gas auction
By Daniel Howden, Deputy Foreign Editor
Published: 22 January 2008
The United States has blocked the release of a landmark assessment of oil and gas activity in the Arctic as it prepares to sell off exploration licences for the frozen Chukchi Sea off Alaska, one of the last intact habitats of the polar bear.
Scientists at the release of the censored report in Norway said there was “huge frustration” that the US had derailed a science-based effort to manage the race for the vast energy reserves of the Arctic.
The long-awaited assessment was meant to bring together work by scientists in all eight Arctic nations to give an up-to-date picture of oil and gas exploitation in the high north. In addition to that it was supposed to give policy makers a clear set of recommendations on how to extract safely what are thought to be up to one quarter of the world’s energy reserves.
See also here.
Other dangers for polar bears: here.
New tests on rare polar bear fossil find in Scotland: here.
- Environmental Toxins Discovered in Polar Bear Brains: Chemical Danger for Wildlife (scienceworldreport.com)
- New Diseases Harm Polar Bears as Climate Changes (theepochtimes.com)
- Picture of the Day: Polar Bear Tries to Push Ship Out of Its Territory (news.softpedia.com)
- Environmental toxins enter the brain tissue of polar bears (eurekalert.org)
- Polar Bear Brains have High Levels of Environment Toxins: Study (natureworldnews.com)
- NEWS: Nunavut polar bears at risk from new germs: GN-sponsored study (nunatsiaqonline.ca)
- The king of the Arctic’s speech: Coca-Cola’s polar bears talk in Ridley Scott film (bizjournals.com)
- Svalbard gulls, plover and polar bear (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)